Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Or DeVille Remade - Ask Me How...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MasterEvan07, Mar 31, 2020.

1. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Silver Supporting Member

The first amp I ever bought, and subsequently the first amp I ever tried modifying, was a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - I forget which iteration - many years ago.

I've began trying new gear, upgrades, tweaks, mods, etc. pretty much right away after I started learning to play guitar, so when I discovered there were "kits" for the HRD I grew curious.

Let's just say having a good soldering iron and knowing how to properly solder are critical elements when trying to modify a very low quality, flimsy PCB like those found in such amps - amps given to critical failure issues and myriad PCB problems.

Enter the Fromel Supreme Mod Kit! ...and my utter ruination of the OD channel among other things after blundering through trying to alter components I'd not enough foundational knowledge or skill to tackle or sort should mistakes be made. And they were...

Sold the amp to my brother for nothing because he only needed the still functional clean channel but the mistakes and half-functional amp have galled me for years.

Lo and behold, Lou Rossi and Monkeymatic Amps (Aaron Lyon) came up with a solution: a drop-in replacement PCB for building into the husk of HRDs or HRDVs! An ODS circuit replacement. I just finished the rebuild/remake and have finally redeemed this amp and my sullied amp modding history.

TL : DR - Broke a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe years ago trying to mod it. Completely rebuilt it into an ODS circuit.

HRD2ODS:

Soothsayer and Tone_Terrific like this.
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

That does look nice.
    Any features added or notable mods? I see some voice switching.
    How do they handle the resistors on the channels switch/FS that traditionally overheat?

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  3. MasterEvan07

Well, it's basically an entirely new amp - new PCB, components, sockets, circuit and routing, pots, switches, most jacks, etc..
    A very different voice/sound from the HRD, way more articulation and clarity and a totally different OD channel - much more aggressive and harmonically complex. PreAmp Bypass (PAB) switch for kinda that "raw" TMB tone stack bypass character, several treble voicing options, an EQ shift for "Rock/Jazz", master volume, FX loop.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  4. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

Really cool! Good job rewiring it. I have been playing an HRD at home (during quarantine) as it’s the only amp available to me and I forgot that it does really have a good clean channel. The overdrive channel is laughable though!

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  5. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Nice job!
    Didn't know that was an option for HRs in this day/age.

I botched the PCB in my SRRI about three years ago and eventually shipped it off to Vintage Sound to gut it and replace with everything handwired inside; don't want to call it 'point to point', because some cork-sniffers will point out the differences.
    I don't trust those Fender PCBs anymore.

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  6. MasterEvan07

Thanks, it really turned out so great. The new ODS drive channel is way different from the cheesecloth muffled sound of the HRD drive channel, much more alive and musical too.

I have no problem with quality, thick, plated thru-hole PCBs, I actually like them a lot. But those Fender PCBs are plain lousy. Finding this PCB from Lou and Aaron was perfect and I knew I was going to do it the minute I saw it.

Bucksears likes this.
  7. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I was told that the ‘Easy-Bake Oven’ grade OEM circuit board in the HRD is what gives it its tone mojo. The vibrating PCB in the husk acts much like an acoustic guitar string in front of a big acoustic guitar with vintage spruce top and Brazilian rosewood body imparting a big, warm & complex sound. Was I wrong to believe this from the Reverb seller? :p:p:p

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  8. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Phoenix is connectors are a nice touch

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  9. MasterEvan07

I'm hiring that guy for my ad copy...