Fender Hot Rod Deville, I'm in love!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by D/FW XJ'er, Jan 31, 2006.

1. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

My favorite amp tone I've ever gotten was through a '68 Pro Reverb being driven by my tube screamer.

Unfortunately it's hard to drag it around all over wondering if/when it's gonna get stolen/broken/etc...

I just traded my Mesa off tonight for a slightly modded Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and I'm in love. Almost as sweet as the Pro Reverb with none of the worries. :JAM

2. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

Ouch, no love for the non-boutique.

I understand the boutique market, and have some decent amps that don't leave the house. However for bar/club gigs I can't imagine a better "beater" amp than this Deville.

The previous owner did install Eminence Texas Heats and JJ 6L6's to liven it up a bit. :cool:

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have dragged my HR Deville everywhere, and its clean tones have flat out blown away most boutiques in head to head competition. The only amps that truly sound better were the Brunos. Even with them, I liked the Fenders clean tones more with my jazz guitars. Of course now I own the HR Deville, and three Brunos. :D My Deville sounded every bit as good as my 66 Super reverb, and sounds as good as my 66 Pro reverb as well. KILLER amp! :AOK

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Only time will tell the true story.
    You're right. Great tone for the bucks(Deviile).
    Longevity is short term on these amps.
    You could buy the Cow Tipper for extra money and it would out live the Deville 5 to 1.
    Simple math and a better investment if you have the $$ up front.
    Otherwise, keep on buying the Deville series only when they fail and buy another.
    It's allready been a proven point in regards to reliabilty.
    Or...buy a Deville...treat it with "kid gloves"
    Hey Tag, How you been? haven't heard from you in the last week.
    Where have you been hiding?

5. Tag

5 to 1?? My Deville is 10 years old without a single problem. I have several friends who gig with them 3-4 nights a week. 5-6 years, and not a single problem with theirs either. Now I love my Cowtippers, but IMO, the Fender will last every bit as long.

I was on a cruise in the caribbean. :) By the way, almost every amp on the ship was a new Fender, and all the players had GREAT tone.:BEER

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Let's see- bought mine new in '98 for $550. Right out of the gate there was a popping noise issue due to a cold solder joint that was fixed in the first 2 weeks that I bought it. Started using JJ's in the power section at the same time, per my tech's recommendation.

Other than routine biasing and tube changes, there have been zero problems since that inital cold-solder joint in '98.

It's not a 'proven point' re: it's supposed reliability issues... some folks have them, and some folks don't. I've heard some tech guy say he sees them all the time for repairs, and another say they're more reliable than most amps he's seen out there. Every time this reliability issue comes up, several people speak up and say they've had no problems, but no one seems to care... "if it's not boutique it's crap" is the general mentality 'round here.

-Ben

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I was at GC last weekend an old blues guy was playing through a deville and he saw my Tone King Continental with a JBL and I let him play through it just for kicks. He said, "This is it and added there's no way I'm going to buy the Fender." I don't know what you guys like about them but the reverb is artificial sounding compared to the TK. Everyone has their favs but I don't know about the Hot rods being better then everything (except Brunos :rolleyes: ), that's quite a stretch IMHO.

8. Tag

I think both the Tone Kings and Cars are very nice amps. I almost bought a Carr, but then I A/b d it with a few Fenders. I liked the Fenders more. The devilles reverb IS solid state sounding, but not the SRRIs and some of the other amps. However, the tone on the DeVille was just deeper and richer than both the Carrs and Tonekings to me.

9. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

All amps need matainence......just like cars. But I know all those fender amps have problems with cold solder joints, broken tube sockets and broken input jacks. Any amp tech, especially a Fender service guy will tell you how many more of those he fixed than anything else, even PV's.

If you dig it then more power to you and that's all that counts.

I think they are just crap, the older tweed blues series sounded better. I replaced the speakers with RI Jensen's and had those little problems fixed in the 4-10 deville and deluxe I owned. I got some good sounds out of them and much better than the HRD I had. But no matter what I did the reissue Vibroverb, Vibrolux and BFDR sounded way better. And the "real" one's I had sounded way better than them.

So I sold everything and decided to build my own.....

I listened to a lot of your clips and the emerald sounded the best. I think with a lot of booteek amps the builders over filter to keep the noise down. I can hear an over filtered amp a mile away, usually either too much cap or too big a choke. The Bruno and Fuchs sounded over filtered to me.

10. Tag

The Emerald Pro is all overdriven clips. The Brunos are clean. I would think that a hard comparison to make.

Not sure about how much filtration the Fuchs has, but I know Scott has messed around with removing the choke all together. The Brunos simply smoke every amp I put them next too. They kill my vintage Fenders.

[​IMG]

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

Expect to get slagged by some here for the Deville. :mad: But I like Tag have been using mine for years now. tube changes is all I have ever had to do with it. I LOVE it. Awsome cleans and with a OD or EQ, I can even get the distortion to sound good.
    :)

12. bscepter

bscepter Member

I saw Glen Tillbrook and his band last year. He was playing through a DeVille, and it sounded amazingly good. Again, great cleans for the buck. Not bad looking, either.

13. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

A few years back I was using a Mesa Nomad (they had just come out) and took a house gig in a place I didn't want to leave the Mesa. So I bought a clean 410 Deville for $400 to leave at the gig. I was surprised at how good it sounded, to the point that I sold the Mesa and started on a quest that ended up with a vintage Fender and three boutique amps. I did have some reliability issues with the amp (input jack broke and a cold soider joint had to be fixed). This was on an amp that sat in the same place for a year :( Still for the money it got a great, very workable sound for the gig I used it on. And after the gig ended I sold it for $400 to a blues guy who still uses it to this day (although he's had to have it repaired at least one that I know of).

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Hey Tag, I could see your point when you compare using the stock Continental to some degree. I hope you didn't compare a 4x10 Fender to the 1x12 Tone King.

I probably would have sold my Tone King without too much thought but since I put in a JBL E120 I'm having a real hard time even thinking about selling it. I really think that's what the original Tone King's needed was a better speaker so the clean tone would hold up at higher volumes. The only problem is I don't know what would have been available in 1996 for new speakers.

The JBL gives me that SRV clean tone at high volumes and now all I get is tube distortion and not some bizarre mixture of a greenback speaker clone and tubes (I know for many this is the holy grail tone but not for a Fender).

15. Mayflower

LMAO!
    Went to see my uncles band play Sat. night at the local Eagles gig.
    (Wheelchair and Cane Convention)
    Sixstringslut was my partner in tow. My uncle Paul gave us both the chance to cut our teeth with him as lead players many moon ago.
    Now imagine this..3 guitar players, all playing Strats with the cloth slip covers on the back to protect the finish. Sit down bass player, drummer with the toms tilted so far you would have thought his lyrics were written on the heads, and all had cowboy hats. All over the age of 60!
    They saw us walk in and were rather suprised, and as usual acknowledged us over the mic..
    We knew they were going to ask us to sit-in..... But...they didn't.
    Seemed they were having some problems on stage???
    It was the last set we walked in on. After the gig, hugs and hello's were exchanged, Paul said "We were going to ask you guys to sit in, but both of the other guitarist were having problems with thier amps all night long!"
    "Those damn tube amps" he exclaimed. ( he uses a Peavey Chourus amp, solidstate)
    Guess what BOTH of those amps were?:)
    Thats right....Fender Devilles(not the same models, one was black). One was crackling, the other was intermittent!
    LOL!
    Key word in the above quote is "New", because the one they had the last few years wasn't working! :)

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

They should really learn how to take care of their amps and retube them properly then. Or check the power. Or their cables. Or any of a ton of other issues it could have been.

-Ben

17. Mayflower

These guys are all retired, have all the money they will ever need. Take care of thier gear better than ANYBODY I know! You should have seen the load out! They had pro cases for everything, wheels on all the cases, everything had an exact spot in the KILLER new 6x12 black dual axle trailer being pulled by a new Ford pickup.
    These guys make most of look like rookies in the gear/maintenance dept.
    For Christ's sake, they had slip covers on all the guitars they were playing!
    Replacing tubes every 6 mo. to them is the same as changing your oil every 3000 miles.
    I never asked if they extra cables or tubes, but I bet they did and were probably bent over the back of thier amps in- between sets.
    Paul is retired from Ford and was also a TV repairman for years... So yeah, he knows tubes. That's why he was playing through a solidstate amp!:D

18. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

hehe... I just sold my rg100es and I already miss it...dam solid state....

19. Tag

Jealous these cheap amps sound so darn good I sense!

Lets see. My Matchless DC 30 had a tube socket break within 6 months. My badcat Hotcat had a tube socket problem AND an input needed to be re-soldered. My Blackcat had a problem. My Bruno had a reverb problem. My TwoRock E.Pro has several strange problems, and needs to go back to TwoRock. My HR Deville, not a single problem, and I have had it since they first came out. I also bought one for one of my employees. (HR Deluxe). About 5 years without a single problem. My bassman RI. 10 years, not a single problem. Also, not sure if you are "Wreck" as in Trainwreck, but both my bassman RI and HR Deville totally smoked a Trainwreck express side by side. Then again, according to Ken Fisher, it probably needed a "tune up". LOL!! :D

You play as many "reliable boutique" amps as you want. Ill be the one with the el cheapo HR Deville with much better tone! :p

20. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

This one was made in '94 and doesn't have any obvious problems. I always gig with my BF Bassman as a backup so we'll see. :BEER