Fender Hot Rod Deville- Volume Box?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sodapopinski, Oct 16, 2008.

1. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

i just got a deville 212 and i've heard about a volume box. Can anyone please inform me about what it actually does. I searched the forums but did not find anything that is helpful... do you recommend buying one? and does it change the sound of the amp? THanks

2. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I also have a Hot Rod Deville 212. The "volume box" you speak of is most commonly called an Attenuator. One of the best from what I've heard is the Ultimate Attenuator. It lets you get that cranked amp, saturated tube tone without making the crowd's ears bleed.

Personally, I have just learned to live with my awesome, but very loud amp. We have agreed to disagree! GL.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Like tubee said, it can refer to an attenuator, which is put after the amp and before the speakers to let you basicly lower volume and keep some of your cranked amp sound. The other thing you may be refering to is just that, a volume box. (the $20.00 things on Ebay) This is put in the effects loop of the amp. It's like adding another master volume to the amp. This doesn't help with getting cranked amp tones at lower volumes. But with the Hot Rods, the masters can go from zero to super loud with a very small move of the master volume knob. Adding the "volume box" can help you to have more control over the overall volume.

4. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

does the volume box help get the high tube clean sound at low volumes? like an attenuator but for the clean channel?

5. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The volume box is simply a 100k pot inside a box with two jacks.It gets inserted into your effects loop and it tames the 'instant volume' issues with the hotrod series of amps.
    You can dial in a great tone and then dial the volume box down to a sane level.It is NOT an attenuator,it's like a master volume for the clean channel.The drive channel already has a master,but the clean channel doesn't.The box solves that issue.And yes,you can dial in a nice overdrive on the clean channel and throttle it back with the box.
    About 5 bucks in parts.

6. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Thanks, a bunch, ill probably end up buying one since i dont know how to make it... im not electronically savy yet, but im trying to learn