Fender Hot Rod pre amp tubes - again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edwarddavis, Jul 19, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

seems like every few months the pre amp tubes on my fender hot rod go.
    Just replaced all the tubes a few month ago and it crapped out and I out new ones in again. this is probably the 3rd time this year. I play out with the amp and use it at home but it seems like a lot.
    anybody else ever have this happen. Great amp , put lower wattage jjs in it and wow what a different amp it became ,had the tube issue before , just curious . I hate to get rid of it but I feel like the amp is unreliable to play out with . Yes I can buy spares but I am not gonna put them in at a show and I am much to lazy to bring a spare amp .

2. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

What happens to the tubes? I've gigged a hot rod for 10 years and never had a problem with it.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

There is definitely something wrong there. Have the amp checked out. Preamp tubes should last YEARS.

Maybe more specifics on how they exactly "go" or "go out"?
    What are you experiencing...no sound suddenly, or staticy sounds, or exactly what symptoms are telling you the preamp is "gone"?

In any case, no...it is not "normal" and I have had my Hot Rod DeVille, playing minimum of 6 hours a week, for two years, plus gigs, and not changed a tube. I am doing mods to it now in fact, it is on my bench, so I opened mine up...did the mods, and when I went to test the amp, it sounded like a fuzz tone with a bad battery and very little volume.

Looking forward to a long troubleshooting session...("which mod killed it I wonder?") I tested the ribbin cables and WHAM...suddenly lots of volume.

There are (from memory) 3 or so "ribbon cables" that connect the preamp and power tubes to the main "motherboard". They are soldered...not connectors, but the ribbon used uses very thin wire. My having to turn the board back and forth (solder side/component side) worked a little two conductor cable from the power tubes to the board...one strand of wire was making my fuzz tone sound. Tonight I just have to replace that ribbon cable with solid core wire and then hear how the mods went.

So...it could be other things, that you are thinking is the tube. Bad connection or component, ribbon cable, etc.

So...how do you experience the symptoms that it has "gone"?

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just curious. If you described the way they go bad you might get some help to fix it?

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Ed - you should send that amp to Jim Price at Omega for repair/mods. You'll be glad you did - ;)

http://omegaamps.com