Fender Hotrod Deluxe VS DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zwieback-dude, Jan 21, 2012.

1. zwieback-dude

zwieback-dude Member

Hi,

I recently played through the Fender Hotrod Deluxe III and I really liked the cleanchannel. Very fast attack and good bass response.

How would you compare the 65 DRRI to the Hotrod? I remember playing the DRRI some time ago and i didn't like the bass response. What are differences between the two amps? Do they both react well to OD pedals?

I'm looking for a clean amp for funk/blues/jazz. Tried the Vox Ac30 too, which was lovely for its slightly overdriven sounds but the Hotrod beat it in the clean channel.

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

prefer the hot rod myself. bass response was one of the reasons. as a clean platform, i prefer it in general. . . .

3. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

DRRI = 2 6V6 = 22 watts
    HRD = 2 6L6 = 40 watts

4. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

The HRD is a bassy amp. Blackface stuff is always light on the bottom compared to the tweed stuff (basing that on a '66 Twin and a '65 DR vs a 94 blues deluxe)

However, you cant use all that bottom end in a band situation, it gets muddy. Leo knew what he was doing.

5. zwieback-dude

zwieback-dude Member

Hmm can't you dial out the bass on the HRD? I should compare these two soon..

6. mike361

mike361 Member

Good answer, of course you can. In fact just today I was messing with the eq and dialed out the bass. Really cut well but I actually prefer the bass at around 4 or so depending on which guitar I am using. I generally run a fuzz pedal set low with the clean channel. Great tone, something about fenders and fuzz. Not the greatest amp ever made but is a heck of a bang for the buck amp.

7. rouss

rouss Member

I was looking into a deluxe reverb. But I like a tight bass .Are you saying that the amp has a loose bass

8. woof*

woof* Member

More power wins for me too, if I was choosing between those two.

9. McStrats

McStrats Member

Hot Rod Deluxes sound better in the music store and in the den. But in a full band situation the DRRI has a chime where the HRDLX has a midrange honk that can't be dialed out, and a low end that just fights with the bass and kick drum. I gigged heavily with a HRDLX for 10 years before going with a DRRI and I couldn't be happier. That being said, the HRDLX is a great amp for the buck for someone starting off. It is also a very good clean plstform for pedals as others have pointed out...but the DRRI is a better sounding amp to *my* ears. The fact that the tube sockets are chassis mounted is a huge factor too.

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

My take is go for the Hot Rod if you want pure cleans or go for the DRRI if you might want to do the 'cranked Blackface' thing from time to time.

I guess I'm just slow to accept new names. I consider the Deluxe Reverb to be the third smallest of the standard Fender line. I consider the Hot Rod Deluxe to be fine entry to the Fender lineup for those unsure if they want to get a real Fender amp.

:p

Well, that's overstating it, but something like that. Natural breakup on the Hot Rod comes at a pretty high volume level. That's basically the deciding factor in my opinion. I like some complexity in my cleans... a pinch of breakup. That's much easier to do with the DRRI than the HRD.

11. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I know people who really like the HR series. To me, the Deluxe Reverb is in a totally different league of amps. That really doesn't matter though. If you like the Hot Rod, you should buy it.

12. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

For what you're looking for, I'd go Deluxe Reverb. The HRD is a good starting platform for mods and such, but the DR brings it to the table pretty much from the start. Get a couple of good pedals and go to work.

If you end up with the HRD, I'd look into the Omega Mods. I'm having my HRD III done by Jim right now. Although I haven't yet heard the result, most reviewers/users claim a huge improvement in tone, EQ, and harmonic content over the stock HR sound, but a lot of that is in the higher gain stuff which probably isn't your focus.