Fender Hotrod Tele - these are great!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JimmyR, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I've played a few Hotrod '52 Teles lately and is it just me or are these things great guitars? I've tried a few Teles with full-size HBs at the neck and while they sound good the HB can overwhelm the bridge. But the mini HB is perfect. Warm but bitey enough.

I also love the finish. On the examples I've played the finish sinks into the wood beautifully, the colour is not so smokey, and they seem to be sourcing some good ash. My local store has one with a two-piece lightweight body that would rival a CS Tele. The necks feel good and are super playable with the jumbo frets and 9.5 radius and the electrics are good. What's not to like??

I think these are the Teles Fender should have been making long ago. These and some of the other "thinskins" I've seen lately are very very good. Who else is on the hotrod bandwagon?

2. Griz

Griz Member

Agreed. The Hot Rod '52 is great little guitar. Tweaked, but not overdone. All the essentials are there.

Definitely on my list.

:AOK

3. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I played one several times that i loved, and was thinking about picking up, and a different second one, that was lacking all of the magic and cohesion of the first. Not saying it's telling in anyway as far as overall line quality. What it probably comes down to is Guitar A i played in a great shop, Guitar B in a guitar center.

cheers

aaron

4. acoustic567

acoustic567 Silver Supporting Member

A few years ago I picked up a 1972 Tele that along the way had a mini-humbucker put in the neck, as well as a 6-saddle bridge. What a sound.

It's the one that I'll never part with.

Until I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DrSax

DrSax Member

most definitely. It blew me away the second I picked it up, now it's my No. 1. Great guitar.

6. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I haven't played one yet.....looking forward to it!

7. reddog112

reddog112 Member

It is my current number one. The mini-humbucker is pretty versatile and the bridge pickup just plain rocks. The neck feels right and it is light! I have a DGT on order but this Tele is great. :dude

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

How have you guys found the weight on these? Maybe it's just coincidence, but I've tried about 4 or 5 of them, and found all of them were boat anchors ... picky I know, but I can't bring myself to by an 8.2 lb. tele when I know there are others out there in the 7.2 lb. range.

9. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

That's a real beauty! The Hot Rod Tele is one of my favorite recent offerings by Fender. I LOVE mini-humbuckers in the neck position of a Tele. I just built this partscaster recently:

[​IMG]

10. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The '52 Hotrod Tele is on sale at GC for the next three days for $1349. The usual price is $1629.

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I placed an order for one about a month and a half ago from my local store and they keep on telling me that the shipment has been delayed and not to expect one till later this month. This is getting a little old and unfortunatley I'm on vacation or I would order one from GC. The sale must be in store only?

12. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

That's just yummy!!! :AOK

Cowboy

13. reddog112

reddog112 Member

Mine is feather light, just barely 7 pounds

14. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I was told by a GC store employee the prices on the list are nationwide. There's one calling to me right now that weighs a little over 7lbs that is gorgeous. The problem is, I can save $75 if I order one from Musician's today, and today only due to no sales tax, and 15% off. $1629 x .85% = $1384.65 at MF.

15. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Tim, I tried to order one earlier from the friend, but they said fender is excluded from the 15% off ? Is that true?

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I guess so--I didn't check with them.

17. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Isn't it worth the $75 to you to know that you're getting a "good" one? Go and get it!!!!:dude

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

What he said...

When the hot rods first came out, I played one at the local GC along with a bunch of other teles and it was hands down the best one in the store, they are really nice guitars.

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Ha ha - you guys have convinced me! :BEER

I've had my Fender '52 Hot Rod tele in the Emporium and after reading this thread and playing the guitar and reading this thread and playing the guitar some more - I decided to keep it!

Thanks for changing my mind, I would have had total seller's remorse after this one was gone! :Spank

I was selling it because I don't "NEED" it, but now, that's all relative, isn't it? :p

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  20. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

They are great! At the price though I decided it was time to try my hand at building one from scratch except for the neck which I got from Warmoth. I will finish the project this winter when I get some time.