Fender HRD speaker upgrade

Gabazz

I am looking for a speaker upgrade for my Fender HRD. I am not looking for something that would make the amp sound British. I wish to get a nice clean Fender tone.

I have noted that most people recommend Eminence Cannabis Rex and the Jensen P12N or C12N. The V30 are also popular but It seems like the Fender sparkle is removed by V30s and they sound too harsh in my opinion. How would a Celestion Alnico gold work?

I actually replaced the HRD stock speaker with an orange and black JBL D120F. Great clean tones. Most decidedly not UK flavored.

ES330

Weber ceramic bulldog C12B 50W lightly doped
Tried many speakers, this sounded the best

Delver

I'm in exactly the same position as you and after some on-line research I've decided to go with the Eminence Swamp Thang. It's 150W rms power handling and 102dB sensitivity so should be alright keeping clean at volume, but is is supposed to sound warmer than the standard Celestion unit fitted (a G12P-80). It should arrive with me some time next week. I'll post about it once I've made the change, although I imagine it will need a few hours on it to give a true representation of its sound.

Gabazz

Mine has the Eminence/Fender speaker as my HRD is from around 2006. I have the ext. cab with the Celestion 70 eighty. Is the Cannabis rex British voiced?

Would a Celestion A type remove all the Fender chime like a V30 or is it a good match up for my amp?

Last edited:

Trending Topics