• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Hw Dr Vs Vintage. Great Video.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Still digging my '64 HW Fender DR. I've owned several nice BF DRs and the RI. I prefer the HW version.

RockinRob

Ya know, not every old Fender amp was great. This one might just have been a dog, old tubes, crap speaker, old caps.. who knows. I think many of the new Fender amps are just great, but I still haven't found anything that tops a good and carefully maintained blackface.

Neither of those are what I would consider "good tone" or present this as "yep, that's what a vintage DR sounds like" A lot of it I attribute to his knob settings, not exactly a 'fair' competition. Running that amp on those settings, is like running a Ford GT in 4th gear at 20mph. It will go, but it won't perform or impress you.

Second, he is killing that old DR with that speaker. ET65 in a BF Fender?

Perhaps it was at those exact settings, that the new out performed the old. I'd like a crack at demoing that exact gear...Interesting "test" but poorly executed IMHO. Vol 4, T6, B6, rev3.5 do it again and get back to me. Oh and just use the new speaker for all testing.

Guitar Dave T

Kinda depends. I've owned quite a few vintage Deluxe Reverbs; Some sounded great, some not so much. I replaced filter caps on a few, carbon comp resistors that were beyond 10% out of tolerance, really worn tubes, etc...

But upgrading the speaker made the most difference. My complaint about most vintage DR's is this. Most of the speakers Fender used at the time represented some kind of major compromise. Utahs could scream, but were kind of nasal sounding, and didn't really have any meat on the bone. Oxfords were sweet sounding like a Celestion G12H30, but were also pretty thin. 12" Jensen ceramics used on some of the earlier ones sounded full and sweet, but their lower mids flubbed out at higher volumes. CTS 12" ceramics were better, but nowhere near as punchy and full as CTS 10" ceramics (my personal gold standard for 10's).

At the time, I tried a number of Celestions which all sounded better to my ear than the stock 12's.

But it wasn't until decades later, with my last vintage DR, a 1974 silverface, that I found what was, for me at least, the perfect speaker for straight up guitar > instrument cable > Deluxe Reverb Greatness, the Eminence Cannabis Rex. Sweet like the ceramic Jensens, but fuller and with no flubby lower mids.

I posted this recently on another thread. Freshly replaced filter caps, run of the mill JJ 6V6's and EH 12AX7's, and a freshly broken in Cannabis Rex, all in one of the best DR's I've owned.

Guitar is a CS336, my solo starts around 1:30:

And you shoulda heard it with a Tele... ;-)

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Agree. I would do one right now if I had one. I only have the regular one.

So go buy a 64' HW and do the video!! :D

It is amazing to me that nobody has done a comparison video at this point. You know the comparison has been done for sure. The real kicker for me is that some on here who got the 64' HW and also have a DRRI have flat out refused to do a comparison demo. I'll ask again, why is that? They've all emphatically stated that the 64' HW is clearly superior.

If anyone anywhere near me has a '64 HW, I'll gladly make the trip to your place with my LE DRRI and we can play em side by side. I don't have the stock one but its a DRRI on the inside. South Central Pa, Philly area, Lehigh Valley, Jersey, Northern Maryland..... I'm very flexible.

All this said, I have no idea how they'd compare. I just get the feeling that the complete non existence of any proof speaks major volumes about how they are more similar than they are different.

Reactions: Tag

C-4

I don't know very many players that play totally or shall I say clinically clean.
We used too back in the day, but now a tiny bit o' hair seems to sound better and allow some expression, where the totally clean was good for playing 1940's style jazz on arch top guitars.

I don't know what it is about BF and SF Fenders, but I much prefer the Tweed era of Fender amps.

Had I known then, what I know now, I would have played totally clean on a Marshall. They don't have that scooped middle which I don't care for, and I have found that Marshalls to me, anyway, actually sound better then those Ampegs we all used back then. They were o.k. amps, but nothing special to me, but for one Ampeg only, the Fountain of Sound.

Other then that, they can all stay home.

Klahye

So go buy a 64' HW and do the video!! :D

It is amazing to me that nobody has done a comparison video at this point. You know the comparison has been done for sure. The real kicker for me is that some on here who got the 64' HW and also have a DRRI have flat out refused to do a comparison demo. I'll ask again, why is that? They've all emphatically stated that the 64' HW is clearly superior.

If anyone anywhere near me has a '64 HW, I'll gladly make the trip to your place with my LE DRRI and we can play em side by side. I don't have the stock one but its a DRRI on the inside. South Central Pa, Philly area, Lehigh Valley, Jersey, Northern Maryland..... I'm very flexible.

All this said, I have no idea how they'd compare. I just get the feeling that the complete non existence of any proof speaks major volumes about how they are more similar than they are different.

I think it would be interesting to see as well... and I HAD a DRRI and currently HAVE the '64 Custom DR. As I've mentioned in other threads--based on memory, sound and feel... they are different. But it's so hard to describe. I sold my DRRI (which had the stock Jensen speaker). It was a decent amp. But I didn't love it. It did the clean thing really well... but I was never happy with the overdriven sounds it produced. Too buzzy and strident. THAT is where the 64 differs. I LOVE the overdriven sound of the '64. And yes, this very well may be down to the less efficient speaker in the '64. Which makes the comparison sort of irrelevant (unless it's thru the same speaker/cab).

Ultimately, I think the two are probably much more similar in sound--as they should be! I probably should have experimented with different speaker choices in my old DRRI. Clearly folks are having good results "seasoning to taste." I've just never been a speaker-swap guy (yet!)... I tend to stick with the speakers that my amps come with. Tubes--are another story altogether (but I find tube rolling less impactful on tone--NOS tubes are more of a reliability thing for me).

This comparison will eventually surface. And then folks will likely tear it apart for various reasons. Every amp is different. Even the same models, same years. Like guitars, they all take on a life of their own.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know what it is about BF and SF Fenders, but I much prefer the Tweed era of Fender amps.

The Brownface Fenders are a little Tweed and BF/SF but more Tweed and by far the most Marshall like overdrive of any of them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom