Fender in a Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeNiteRail, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I am thinking the answer will be Tech 21 Blonde, but...

What's the best pedal for going direct to get a Fender clean-like tone...probably more Blackface than tweed?

I've tried the Zoom models and am not satisfied. I've tried a Fender Joyo Clean Glass and it was ok. I tried a Tech 21 Blonde a ways back and liked it, although it takes up a fair amount of space on a board (that's why I got the Joyo, but it seems to have less headroom and sound more compressed than I remember the Blonde sounding).

I vaguely remember someone mentioning another pedal that was like a Blackface Fender that even had an effects loop, etc. I can't for the life of me remember what that pedal was, but it might be just the ticket. Any help?

I'd be running a few pedals in front of it into a QSC K10. Thanks!!!

2. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

I think the POD HD series has amazing blackface cleans (both the twin and deluxe reverb). Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but there it is . . .

3. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if it's what you are looking for (or if you've already tried them) but Boss has done a whole series of Fender voiced pedals.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I think the Tech 21 Blonde is quite good for what you are wanting. Keeping the Character Knob low/off, Drive below noon, and the mids backed off a little will give you a good Blackface clean sound.

5. camstudio

camstudio Member

I got an amt f1 recently. Very happy with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Have you looked at the Wampler Black '65?

7. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks, guys!

The AMT F1 was exactly what I was thinking about! Anyone one care to comment on it compared to the Blonde? Does it work well direct? Thanks!

8. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Another vote for the Wampler Black '65.

9. rummy

rummy Member

Came here to recommend AMT F1.

10. camstudio

camstudio Member

I have yet to use it live or in rehearsal. Compared to previous direct rigs I expect it will do the job very well. I had been using a g5 direct for a while. I have not tried the blonde.
    It sounds similar to the zoom fd combo but with more presence in the low mids imo. Tons of headroom, no farting out. Turn the drive up it just gets thicker. Great for funk and clean jazz. Hardwire sc2 in front for some drive works great.
    It also has a switch to turn off the cab if you want to go into a poweramp.
    It also has serial/ parallel fx loop. I experimented with the parallel setting but it really dropped the signal even if there was nothing in the loop. At present I have it set to serial with a zoom ms 70 in the loop. Sound great. Also means you have the master volume after your fx for your out level. I also tried a Palmer pocket amp in the channel loop and worked fine. Next time I do some recording I may post something.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Was this it?
    [​IMG]

My old standby for fender clean/edge of clean is the old JD-10, you can still scare them up on eBay.
    [​IMG]

12. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Probably not what you're looking for, but maybe someone else would appreciate it; Effectrode Blackbird. Nails clean Fender Blackface tones.

13. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Joyo american sound for a cheap alternative to the tech 21 blonde