Fender Introduces VG Strat at NAMM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BSHARP, Jan 20, 2007.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

2. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Some guitarists will embrace it.

Others will decry it as blasphemy.

The listening public will just hear a song that they like and not think about (or care) how it was produced.

Choose your weapon and Rock on! :dude

3. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    I'd be all over it like if it had a 13-pin output....

There's definitely going to be some Variax comparisons, but the immediate thing that comes to mind is that while the Variax is a digital modelling thingy, the VG strat is (because of the Roland pickup) MIDI? That would be that switching to the "modelled" sounds would be shooting off midi samples?

If I'm correct, that would mean that there would be some form of stored memory on the guita, which could lead to some very creative possibilities for the modding crowd.

Interesting concept to me. If i'm right about the MIDI thing, Fender really should have added a 13-pin output to compete with not only the Variax, but also with the Godin SA range of guitars as well.

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Saw that too...looks like a versatile piece. Sort of a "Variax lite" with a conventional look.

Greg

5. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

I hope they added at least a usable Nylon sound to that...taking advantage of the GK pickup...

Not even the Variax Acoustic comes close. Had one and sold it within a week. The steel string sound can be solved with a Piezo System.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Interesting idea, but half-assed implementation in my opinion. Why not spend a couple more bucks and use special saddles to convert the signal (and allow for better signal seperation) instead of mounting a roland pickup in the pickguard. Not that I'm surprised since Fender did the same thing with their Roland-Ready strat. Seems like doing it cheap instead doing it right to me, which makes me wonder about the rest of the guitar.

-Austin

7. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

The price isn't known yet. Beside being a Variax comparison, the price could make it or break it. The feature that most got my attention is the variable tunings.

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Countering that, I have to say I've had a number of guitars with the dedicated RMC saddles and didn't find them to perform any better than the roland pickup.

9. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I'm pretty interested in this if it sounds good. Too bad I don't like American Standards.

My big concern would be durability for people like me who play a lot of smokey/humid/sweaty/generally wet and nasty bars, or humid/dirty outdoor festivals. I'd be worried that too much sweat or a stupid beer accident by an audience member would render it useless. It seems like something that might be hard to live without if really got used to it.

10. elchato

elchato Member

Godin's been putting this 13-pin outputs since way before anyone even imagined the Variax... and yet, everyone seems to ignore this guitars, great quality, well thought of designs, great craftmanship USA/Canadian made, EXCELLENT PRICE... what else is there to ask?

I have 2 of them, none with the 13-pin outputs, but that's because I wouldn't use them.