Fender Jagmaster: Impressions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Mar 24, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Kind of intrigued by this cheap guitar. It has a 24-inch scale -- so short. Anyone played it? What is the short scale like to play? How do the Duncan-designed pickups sound? I was thinking of putting some of the GFS humbucker-sized P-90s in it.

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I had a Japan Vista seris one a few years back, for the mulla, not bad. The 7.25 radius was a turn off though.

3. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Er, the 24" scale is only 3% shorter than the standard Gibson scale and 6% shorter than the Fender Strat/Tele/Jazzmaster scale - not exactly short!

4. NoahL

NoahL Member

True, but we all know the small difference between the Fender and Gibson scales makes a big difference in feel, tone and articulation, especially when it's played out over all that string tension. It's one reason why Teles sound like Teles and Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls. Go another notch shorter from a Les Paul scale, and you're talking a serious tonal difference, plus a difference in feel and playability. I don't think there's any argument there, but I'll listen to differing opinions.

5. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I was just saying that 24" scale is not 'short' - the Ric 325 with its 20.75" scale is short. Can't really compare humbuckers and Fender single coils, there's a massive tonal difference right there.

Playability difference between 24" and 24.75"? Nothing you wont get used to in under a week. Definitely a different feel and some percussiveness to the tone (comparing Strat and Jaguar) but there's a lot of other differences so it's hard to work out how much the scale is contributing.