Fender Jaguar pickups buzzing and humming...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Footbutt, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i know there's plenty of threads out there talking about grounding and shielding, both of which i've already done, but has anyone changed/swapped their stock pickups for different, quieter ones?

the odd thing is that i don't notice the buzzing-hum with my amp, ONLY when i'm running it direct with a Tech 21 Leeds. i step on my OD's which are both pretty darn quiet, and BAM! unusable buzzing loudness!

again, i don't get/hear the issue with my amp, just running ODs> LEEDS> Timeline> Space.

i've been considering the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups. thoughts?

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Aren't the Antiquity IIs always vintage spec? If you've got an AVRI, I don't see how SDs will fix the problem....

but I'm no pickup/electricity guru. I would think it'd be more something to do with the direct signal than the pickups. If you put the Leeds at the end of your signal chain, do you still hear it?

3. Footbutt

i've got a MIJ Lefty. so no waxed pickups. just a rewiring job so i can run it in stereo.

i'll try this out. i was running the Timeline and Space in GORGEOUS <<STEREO>>, but i'll try it mono with the LEEDS at the end of the chain.

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

What if you take the Leeds out of the chain? Conversely, what happens if you only use the Leeds? Sounds like the problem is with the pedal.

5. JacksonCarter

JacksonCarter Member

welcome to jags. PS-they should be squealing, too!

6. Footbutt

well, i purchased an American Replacement Bridge pickup for my Jaguar...
    and yeah. it rocks.

it's still technically 'stock' but it's much better than the Japanese pickup.

no more squeal! and with all the extra shielding i did, this thing doesn't buzz anymore.
    i'll probably post some soundbites/vids of my setup and hopefully showcase the latest pickup.

7. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Yeah my MIJ Jag squeals too if gain and close to amp or stage monitor... started a thread here a while ago and learned Curtis Novak winds noiseless versions but never pulled the plug and basically stopped using it....

I like the jag for a "special" tuning conducive to the short scale...

So you replaced it with an American "Fender" pup?

8. Footbutt

yep. AV (American Version). $40 on ebay.
    you might find some cheaper.

9. SongX

SongX Member

MIJ Jag pups are crap. I switched to SD Antiquities II - sounds 100X better!