Fender Jaguar string gauge help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Godspeed64, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Hey guys, I need help on this.

I've been an avid user of a Gibson SG Standard for many years now. I'm most comfortable with gauge 10s on my guitar (can't play effectively on 9s or 11s).

I'm wondering, after reading about it online most people recommend a gauge 11 setup for the Jaguar due to the short scale length. Minimum recommended are 10s but optimum as many quoted would be 11s.

I'm sending my guitar for a set-up on Thursday and I'm wondering, should I set and intonate it to gauge 10s? Or should I go ahead with 11s for a guy who is too used to gauge 10s on a Gibson SG?

2. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

11's will be fine IMO and ideal. Especially for rock music. Nothing wrong with 10s on a jag but it would be pretty floppy.

3. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Will the feel of 11s on the short scale match the feel of 10s on a regular Gibby? I'm most concerned about that mate!

4. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

It's not that different.

5. Dale

Dale Member

You can string it with .11's fine. I actually play .09's on mine now as it is my bad wrist guitar a lot of the time. It forces me to use less than the gorilla touch I acquired playing acoustic.

6. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

That's cool guys. Seems like I'll venture into 11s. It's unfamiliar territory for me!

7. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

My jag sounds best with 11s. I use 10s on my strat, tele and LP and 9s on my 335. I'd say go for it. Just bought a set of flatwound 11s to try on the jag. I spent a lot of time switching the string gauges and brands on each of my guitars and now am pretty set with what I'm using. Best thing is to experiment.

8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I heard its best to use flatwound as well right? Thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to play my Jag!

9. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

While I do like .11's, I've tried flatwounds on a few different occasions and they have not worked at all for my ears/tastes. Some people swear by them, but I swear at them. Nickel strings get a more traditional tone yet I prefer brighter strings.

Most of the time I use Dean Markley Blue Steels, but I've also tried Curt Mangan, and Snake Oils. Recently I put on Thomastik's and they sound pretty good-- but I am still way inside the "honeymoon" phase, and I can't say for sure that I've found my new favorite brand.

10. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

flat wounds are interesting but not a requirement for a jag or jazzmaster. They feel great and have a unique tone but they lack the punch or attack of roundwounds. I think they have a stronger and warmer fundamental tone