Fender Jazzmaster - any thoughts?

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going back and forth on buying a Fender '62 American Vintage RI Jazzmaster in good ole surf green. I've played on it quite a bit and while I've logged some time on it at my local guitar store I'm not quite sure if I'll like it in the long run. I play a lot of blues and classic rock and I'm just trying to figure out where she'll fit in. For once I'm spending some time asking questions rather than just buying!

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on their experiences and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!!!

JUSTJOB

In your post it seems like your not quite sure, and I believe you don't really need any of us to pressure you into this purchase. So here is my perspective. Go back to the store and play every guitar there, regardless of make or model. Do this to see if there may something that speaks to you so sweetly that you will know for certain that it, is the one. Doubts early on are a sign of buyers remorse later.
Best Regards!

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
Well - to be honest I'm never quite sure about any axe I buy until I've owned it for several months and broke it in. I practically live at that store so I don't want to overstay my welcome and the people are REALLY nice. Nevertheless until I can bring it in house, set it up with my string preference and give her a whirl through my amps I'll always be leary.

I'm more just curious what people think of theirs.

Thanks for the posts!

bazooka47

Gold Supporting Member
I love JMs. I have a '63 in Sunburst and a '66 in Oly White. There are more pickup options these days if you are looking for something other than the signature JM sound, so you can add versatility. IMHO, with the right frets and setup, JMs can play as well as or better than any other Fender models.

I have been slowly convincing myself that I NEED one of those AV Thin Skin JMs. Problem is, I don't really care for Surf Green, and I don't like the matching headstock. I guess I have been waiting around to see if FMIC is going to make any more in metallic custom colors (Ice Blue, Burgundy Mist, Shoreline Gold) with "plain" headstocks anytime soon.

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
I have been slowly convincing myself that I NEED one of those AV Thin Skin JMs. Problem is, I don't really care for Surf Green, and I don't like the matching headstock. I guess I have been waiting around to see if FMIC is going to make any more in metallic custom colors (Ice Blue, Burgundy Mist, Shoreline Gold) with "plain" headstocks anytime soon.
Actually the ocean blue or whatever they are calling it is a really nice color. The headstocks are standard with no matching. If you get interested - let me know. I can probably get a real nice deal on a brand new one for you.

alvagoldbook

I love Jazzmasters, and I've always wanted one. I've yet to get the chance to own one, but I would kill to have one. Surf Green isn't my favorite color for them, but they certainly look good with it. I think a Jazzmaster would work much better for blues than a strat, and look at how many blues guitarists use strats!

digthosetubes

IMOHO, the color should be the least of your worries.

Feel first. Then tone. Then looks last. Leo was big on that.

I love Jazzmasters to pieces. Even when I sell them I just keep coming back. They are the most comfortable guitar I have ever played and sound fantastic clean or dirty

Here's my surf green AVRI

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
Just as an update for those interested I just picked up my brand spanking new '62 AVRI Jazzmaster last night for $1,200.00 out the door at my local guitar store. She sounds boootiful and definitely has a unique sound that I haven't really heard before. I certainly don't have anything in my arsenal that compares to her so I think she'll fit in JUST fine! Thanks for everyones feedback!

EunosFD

Nice score! Great color too. Congrats! :)

I find myself wanting one (well, a bastardized version I have in my head anyway :D) more and more every day.

Just as an update for those interested I just picked up my brand spanking new '62 AVRI Jazzmaster last night for $1,200.00 out the door at my local guitar store. She sounds boootiful and definitely has a unique sound that I haven't really heard before. I certainly don't have anything in my arsenal that compares to her so I think she'll fit in JUST fine! Thanks for everyones feedback!
Congratulations!

I had a 65 Jazzmaster years ago.

I loved the feel of the neck. I liked the sound. I hated the switching scheme. While I did like the toggle switch- I'd prefer it to act more like the standard Gibson circuit. I had absolutely no use for the roller vol/tone thingy.

Why I got rid of mine was because the strings kept popping out of the saddles. A previous owner had put some string trees between the bridge and the tailpiece. They didn't work too well. Since selling the guitar, I've heard of a couple different "fixes" for the problem. Adding a Mustang bridge and the Buzzstop.

I can't really say that I'd still have the guitar, even if the strings would have stayed put. It was "OK" in my mind for what I wanted back then- but the string thing was the dealbreaker.

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
Why I got rid of mine was because the strings kept popping out of the saddles.

I can't really say that I'd still have the guitar, even if the strings would have stayed put. It was "OK" in my mind for what I wanted back then- but the string thing was the dealbreaker.
Ya - I just noticed that problem this morning which is kind of annoying. I'll be looking for a fix for it but I think the problem at least in my opinion is more of a playing style/compatibility issue. I've got a habit of liking to pluck the high high E string with my middle finger when playing hard or doing bends which will instantly pop the high E all over the saddle. I think throwing on some heavier string might help for which I usually play with 11's anyways so I'm going to try that and see how she plays then.

If that doesn't seem to help and I can't find any other fix the resolution for me at least will be to try and not pluck as often as I do on my strats.

Good post and observation though BTW.

8Painting

Ya - I just noticed that problem this morning which is kind of annoying. I'll be looking for a fix for it but I think the problem at least in my opinion is more of a playing style/compatibility issue. I've got a habit of liking to pluck the high high E string with my middle finger when playing hard or doing bends which will instantly pop the high E all over the saddle. I think throwing on some heavier string might help for which I usually play with 11's anyways so I'm going to try that and see how she plays then.

If that doesn't seem to help and I can't find any other fix the resolution for me at least will be to try and not pluck as often as I do on my strats.

Good post and observation though BTW.

Just get a buzzstop, and a good setup with it on.

I did that to my jag, and i bend the hell out of the strings with 0 problems whatsoever. Even with 10's.

Also, once the height of the saddles are set to your liking, put some clear nail polish where the grub screws are so they dont move around, which, ive noticed they love doing.

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
Just get a buzzstop, and a good setup with it on.

I did that to my jag, and i bend the hell out of the strings with 0 problems whatsoever. Even with 10's.

Also, once the height of the saddles are set to your liking, put some clear nail polish where the grub screws are so they dont move around, which, ive noticed they love doing.
Thanks for the advice I'll try that!

Jules6120

Here is a pic I've got of my 62RI Jazzmaster with a buzz stop on it (along with a few of my other guitars) . This definitely solved the problem for me of strings popping out - I also felt it improved the tone of the guitar! Congrats on the Jazzmaster purchase. I think they are a very underrated guitar.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
Silver Supporting Member
No buzz stop needed with the right (period correct) setup and gauge strings!

However, I have set up a few Jazzmasters with the Buzz Stop for players who needed a lighter string set...no worries treating the symptom and not the root-cause.

Neck-angle and proper shimming may also be a culprit.

Trending Topics