• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender label on Warmoth neck?

Put the Fender logo on the headstock?

• Yes, go for it.

Votes: 150 64.4%
  • No, you would be the worst person ever.

Votes: 83 35.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Otter359

I'm sure this has been touched upon in the past 13 pages, but the neck heel will be branded with Warmoth's turtle logo

Ron Kirn

the neck heel will be branded with Warmoth's turtle logo
True... but how many know to disassemble a guitar to examine it, and how many of those selling would allow it?

those of us that "hang" on the forums are reasonably well informed about things to look for, but "we" and by we, i mean the total of everyone hitting all the guitar forums comprise a very small percentage of those that are interested in guitars....

it's those Millions that just wanna guitar adn heard Fender is a good one that are exposed to the fraud, be it innocent or with malice...

rk

Rayzaa

"Debbie Downers" = those who don't agree with you?
I dont care if you dont agree with me. Most do according to the poll . I tink its hypocritical to say that neck is wrong but its ok to change the pickups and the bridge to a different brand. I guess as long as the decal is still the original, thats fine eh? The Warmoth neck is most likely better than the MIM neck anyways.

rstites

Is it? Is a Fender-licensed Warmoth neck, because it is licensed by Fender, a Fender neck? Authorized "replacement" neck, but NOT a Fender neck is what I say it is.....
No, it's a Fender guitar guitar because it was always a Fender guitar and when one part failed it has been replaced by an authorized replacement part. The manufacture of the neck is irrelevant. If the dude wants to keep calling it a Fender guitar because that's easiest, or because he just wants to, or whatever, then it's a Fender guitar, period. It's his, not ours. Let him do what he wants to do with it.

It's not a work of art. It's a workman level instrument designed to create music. These kind of purity arguments really seem to miss the point of what a guitar is all about - a tool for creating music. It's not a collectors item (we're talking MIM Fender here). There are 100k's of them out there. Fender's were designed to hotrod. Swap necks, swap pickups, shave things down, whatever. If it's more inspiration and fun to have a Fender logo on there, then put it on. It isn't hurting anyone else for some dude to swap a Fender logo on his Warmoth replacement neck on his MIM guitar and enjoying it.

diagrammatiks

Is it? Is a Fender-licensed Warmoth neck, because it is licensed by Fender, a Fender neck? Authorized "replacement" neck, but NOT a Fender neck is what I say it is.....
Doesn't matter what you say it is. If only matters what the licensing agreement says it is.

You should have just bought a real Fender neck from Fender, or the Stratosphere (parts).
I explained this elsewhere in the thread, but let me repeat it since a few people have said the same thing as you; Fender doesn't have a great selection of necks available for sale, and they're quite pricey. Since I wanted a rosewood board that would mean I would have had to buy an American Tele neck (buying from Fender's website) which costs as much as a brand new MIM Tele let alone what my '93 MIM is worth (in banged up shape with a jacked up neck.)

I honestly didn't know about the Stratosphere before this thread. I had looked around for Fender necks quite a bit before, but somehow didn't find it. I still would have ended up paying quite a bit more than I did for my Warmoth neck (since I got it on sale) but I might have paid the extra to have a real Fender neck since it's not that much (like $50 maybe.)

Regardless, I'm at where I'm at now. I appreciate your input.

MrGuitarhack

You can do as you please.

If it were mine, I wouldn't put a Fender sticker on a Warmoth neck.

The only reservations I have about this is when the guitar enters the stream of commerce again. I know my guitars are going to outlive me and I've seen too many instances where unknowing buyers end up with parts casters when they believe they are getting a 100% Fender guitar. I know that there are obvious tell tale signs for those in the know but an unaware consumer will not know what to look for.

toomanyamps

I agree....do YOU what the licensing agreement between Fender and Warmoth says?
Warmoth actually used to have the licensing agreement on their website. It is no longer there. So I am going from memory.

What it says is Warmoth is authorized to make REPLACEMENT necks for Fender and Squier guitars. Warmoth is also not allowed to affix any decal to the headstock. They will give you a decal but Warmoth isn't allowed to attach it. They are not allowed to assemble these necks into guitars. There are also some quality stipulations where Warmoth must provide a certain amount of necks to Fender either periodically or when requested, I don't remember which.

Now as to why FMIC agreed to license their headstock shape to Warmoth and others I have no idea.

People who put together partscasters with Warmoth parts somehow think they have this moral high ground as long as they don't put a Fender decal on it. The wording of the agreement gives that high ground to the person who actually uses the neck for it's stated purpose, a replacement neck for a Fender product.

gigs

If I bought a Ron Kirn Signature Strat and later I put a Fender neck on it... Should I keep the Fender logo on the neck or scrape it off?

If I took the neckless Fender strat that I have now and put the Ron Kirn neck on it... Should I keep the Ron Kirn logo on the neck or scrape it off?

Both guitars are mine, what obligation do I have to do anything with the logos that are now on the "wrong" guitars?

None... these are my guitars, I do what I want with them.

Last edited:

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
If I bought a Ron Kirn Signature Strat and later I put a Fender neck on it... Should I keep the Fender logo on the neck or scrape it off?

If I took the neckless Fender strat that I have now and put the Ron Kirn neck on it... Should I keep the Ron Kirn logo on the neck or scrape it off?

Both guitars are mine, what obligation do I have to do anything with the logos that are now on the "wrong" guitars?

None... these are my guitars, I do what I want with them.
This gets at what my lengthier post earlier was getting at - if I swap out everything on my Strat but keep the neck, is it ok to keep the logo just because it's still a fender neck? There seems to be a consensus, historically speaking, that it's ok.

Swap out just the neck while keeping every other part, and it is often described as fraud, lame, etc. (if you apply a fender logo).

Somehow those two positions don't square with each other.

mvsr990

Blank headstocks look wrong, but I'd get a custom waterslide decal before using a Fender decal - I bought a used Protocaster that has "Strummer" (as in Joe) in the Fender font/gold, when I finally get to start painting and building the two bodies I bought I'm going to continue that with "Shelley" (Pete) and "Ian" (MacKaye) maybe.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Context.. ?? Like what context.... let's review....

I simply stated that applying the registered trademark of a guitar manufacturer to a guitar made by a private individual is a fraud... using the word as whoever makes such determinations intended. Since deceit is one of the definitions of the word Fraud, it is a completely correct application of the word. That's not spin, that's not out of context.. that's a dead on bawlz perfect application of the word..

You retorted, "that is wrong... it is not fraud..." Which is, of course, wrong... :p

I posted the definition of the word Fraud.. guess some cannot read.... I'll just repeat here in case ya missed it the first time around, "a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities" and also listed are a few synonyms to reenforce the definition....among which are, Imposter, Fake, Cheat, Phony, .. Clearly showing my application of the word Fraud is the correct usage, your blather that I was in some way creating a warped application of a simple word, distorting it's meaning.. is.. what's the word Oh yeah, here it comes . . WRONG... don't ya hate it when that happens..

Gawd.. didja notice, PHONY and FAKE among the synonyms... can ya imagine 'em spinning something out of context like that? ;)

and you might wanna take note, I was in Communications from the mid 60's until 1980.... in News and Advertising where "spinning" is a prerequisite for employment and an art form... OH. .we don't use the word "spin" anymore... it has a negative context... :rolleyes: Today we don't "spin" we "pivot"., we "deflect", etc., etc.,. If we have access to "air time" we just ramble on until we consume the allowed time designated for that "segment"... or talk loudly over anyone making a counterpoint, that is credible.... specially if it's credible. . . or, we just espouse disinformation (i love that one:confused:) Disinformation means ya just lie...:mad:

Point is... sticking a registered trademark on anything without the owner of the intellectual property's permission is just plain wrong... and since ya don't care for the word fraud, you can substitute any word you care to... it dosen't change the intent of the act... there is that consciousness of guilt thingy.... However, since we live in a time where doing what's just plain wrong has become "chic".. "avant garde" .. I rather suspect the frauds will continue... both in and out of context..

rk
You posted the outlandish scenario about the OP (or some other dastardly lawbreaker) getting busted by the "trademark police" at a gig. The reality here, regardless of how much you want to win points here, is that "the law"...the "Fender posse"...the Federal criminal agencies...won't look at this as an attempt to commit fraud. They would be more concerned about someone building replica's of said Fender guitars and trying to pass them off as the real deal. We both know this...so does everyone else on this thread...

Why would the OP...or anyone else...feel guilty about this? No one is trying to rip off Fender....or sell a bill of goods to the innocent and naive youth of the world. Yet you are up in arms about this...and slamming some poor guy who wants to replace the bad neck of a $300 guitar.

Trending Topics