1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fender Lead series body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitar mangler, May 22, 2011.

1. guitar mangler

guitar mangler Member

After seeing an awesome fender lead II on the partcasters thread on the guitars page I have now a serious hankering for one. I thought about getting a replacement body and making one from spare bits I've got kicking around.

After a good long while searching, I can't seem to find anyone that sells a replacement body, or a PDF of the body dimension.

Does anyone know of a parts supplier or builder that I can get a fender lead series body from?

Thanks

2. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Fender Lead wasn't exactly a hit among guitarist (even I've seen Clapton himself playing a black one live in Copenhagen 25 years ago - with Albert Lee and Gary Brooker btw). This lack of popularity means too that aftermarket parts are rare - and even non existant in some cases - for these guitars. I have actually never seen an aftermarket body for a Fender Lead - but why not find an original one? Due to the fact that they weren't that popular you can get them for a lot less that most other Fender guitars.

3. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Got mine on ebay, all original in excellent condition with original case and strap for 600$ and I KNOW I overpaid for it by 100$ or so.

They are about as good as anything fender put out in 1980 as far as quality goes (that's is not saying much). If you have never played one note that the string spacing is a little narrower that what you would normally find on a fender (I forget how much.. I am lousy with number.. check wikipedia)

Aftermarket pickguards.. no problem from WD. Replacement used pickups go for 100-150$ a throw. The switches are hard to find and go for 50$ a pair (google lead+guitarcheology) Same with the bridges.

I have never tried the Lead II singles but have heard good things about them (but that was in the Lead Forums and they are a little biased, hoping the more nice things they say the more the value of these guitars goes up ; ) (I am kidding.. kinda)

Here is mine.
    [​IMG]

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

They can tend to be heavy. I think you should take two Strats, and see if you feel better in the morning. Or go ebay shopping.

5. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Hey Sam! That is a FINE looking guitar.. you should try changing the saddles for a set of stainless steels!