Fender Lone Star Strat... anybody like 'em?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Webfoot, May 20, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

These are the Deluxe version with SSH. Very comfy more playing but don't know about the sound.

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

R U talking about the new MIM version? They do that and the three texas specials in another MIM model.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If memory serves, the US Lone Star type strat (HSS) has gone through two or three different types of pickups over the years, starting with a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates in the bridge and Texas Specials for the middle and neck all the way to the current Samarium Cobalt Noiseless w/S-1 switching. There might even be a new set this year. If I had the choice, I'd go for the older pickup combination as I am not a fan of the noiseless stuff / s-1 switching.

Depending on your budget, you might also want to check out the Suhr Pro series. It's a fantastic guitar all the way around.

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

If I'm remembering correctly, the new MIM ones have the same pickups as the original 90s USA models - 2 Texas Special singles and the Duncan Pearly Gates Plus humbucker.

For the USA model, here is the progression:

Lone Star Strat (1996-July 2000) - based on American Standard, 2 Texas Specials and Duncan Pearly Gates Plus

American Fat Strat Texas Special (July 2000 - July 2003) - based on American Series Strat, 2 Texas Specials and Duncan Pearly Gates Plus

American Strat HSS (July 2003 - December 2007) - based on American Series Strat, now uses 2 Tex-Mex singles and a Fender Diamondback humbucker with S-1 switching

American Standard Strat HSS (January 2008-present) - based on new American Standard, 2 Tex-Mex singles and Fender Diamondback humbucker (no longer has S-1 switching)

Other USA-made HSS Strats from the past:

Strat Ultra (1991-1998) - part of the Strat Plus line with maple veneers front and back; Lace Sensors - dual red bridge, silver or gold middle, blue neck

Floyd Rose Classic Strat (1992-circa 2001?) - obviously uses the Floyd Rose bridge, originally 2 American Standard single coils and DiMarzio PAF Pro; later the PAF Pro replaced by a Fender DH-1 humbucker. Floyd Rose name dropped late 1990s and model renamed something like "Fender Strat Special Double Locking HSS"

American Deluxe Fat Strat (1998-2003) - Fender Vintage Noiseless stacked singles and Fender DH-1 humbucker

American Deluxe Strat HSS (2004-present) - Fender Sumarium Cobalt Noiseless stacked singles and Fender DH-1 humbucker with S-1 switching

And those are just the USA production models I can think of off the top of my head; many more USA Custom Shop, MIJ/CIJ, MIM, MIK, and hybrid (like the HM Strat) models.

djw likes this.
  5. oldrock

oldrock Member

I checked out the Lone Star strats since I was wanting a SSH strat but ended up going with an older MIA deluxe in that config. I don't remember what year mine is without checking the serial number but it is an older one. (any strat experts on the forum know how to tell age by looking at the pics). I picked mine because first it played really well and I also liked the seethru white finish. [​IMG]

6. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

I have a 1997 ash Lone Star start. Love it...Never loved an instrument so much in my life. It's my "Lenny" guitar. Never been able to bond with another guitar since.

7. jaegerpicker

jaegerpicker Member

I have a USA Lone Star made in 1998 that I absolutely love. It has a SD Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge and two Texas specials in the mid and neck. I love the tone and it plays really really well. I haven't tried the new MIM ones but the old USA ones are great.

8. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i too want to know if anyone likes the mexican lone star deluxe strat with two texas specials and real live seymor duncan pearly gates bridge? seems like at least the pickups are good! they are currently 599 new

9. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster Electric Guitar with Deluxe Gig Bag
    The Fender Deluxe LoneStar Stratocaster represents a great collaboration between Fender's US and Mexican factories. The Deluxe Lone Star™ has two great Fender US made Texas Special pickups (as on the coveted Stevie Ray Vaughan and Mark Knopfler Strats) along with a US made Seymour Duncan® Pearly Gates Plus™ humbucker with the ZZ top sound that Billy Gibbons made famous. Assembley by the Fender crafts people in the Ensenada factory keeps costs low, so the Deluxe Lone Star, for all its great features is a screaming bargain!
    The Deluxe Lone Star features the famous Fender 5 position pickup selector. Choose position 1, and she's got legs, as you activate the Pearly Gates humbucker. Choose position 2, the humbucker and middle pickup go into action. Position 3 activates the middle pickup alone, Position 4, activates the middle and neck pickup for noise cancelling, and position 5 is the neck pickup alone.
    The Deluxe Lone Star, has the famous Stratocaster Comfort Contour body made of alder with a Urethane finish that is both eyecatching and lets the tonal characteristics of the wood shine through. The body has beautiful 4 ply brown tortoise shell patterned pickguard. It also includes a Fender vintage style synchonized tremolo.
    The Deluxe Lone Star neck is a modern C shape maple neck with a rosewood fretboard with 21 medium jumbo frets and Fender Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines with permanent lubrication.
    Fender includes a great Fender Deluxe gig bag so you can carry the guitar with you easily along with all your accessories.
    Features:
    Alder body
    1-piece tinted maple neck, "C" shape
    Rosewood fingerboard, 9.5" radius
    21 medium jumbo frets
    2 Texas Special single coils (neck/mid) and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker (bridge)
    Master Volume and 2 Tone knobs with 5-way switch
    Fender/Ping standard cast/sealed tuners
    Vintage style synchronized tremolo
    Polyester finish
    Chrome hardware
    25.5" scale
    Includes gig bag

10. dughaze

dughaze Member

Nice info!!

I have this one:
    American Fat Strat Texas Special (July 2000 - July 2003) - based on American Series Strat, 2 Texas Specials and Duncan Pearly Gates Plus

It is Sienna Burst....a beautiful guitar and after a really good setup it plays and sounds great. I will only buy a used American Strat or Tele. There's too much of an improvement in all the features over all the MIM or whatever else models I've had or tried.

11. sanrico

sanrico Member

Ironically I just bought a gorgeous 1999 lone star in Siena Burst. It has the pearly gates bridge pick up. The guitar is dropdead gorgeous in person. The pearloid pick guard is starting to yellow which looks amazing against the sienna burst. The previous owner must have had sweaty hands and a lot of the screws are rusty so I ordered new pick guard and pick up screws and am waiting for them to finish restoring this beautiful guitar.

Pictures coming soon...

12. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Love my MIM. Played it into the ground. First guitar I ever bonded with. It's in a case now because it needs a re-fret. It completely converted me to HSS strats.