Fender Mediums

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cyb3rvampire, Aug 26, 2006.

1. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

I've switched to fender medium pics. Improved my over all tone TONS. I used to play with the dunlop jazz 3's...the little ones. Started with red, then went to black. I then went to dunlop 1.0mm ultex. Now its the fender mediums and I find that if you find a pic that gives just a little (such as the mediums) there is so much more nuances you can incorporate with your right hand.

My guitar sounds way better and my playing is WAY more dynamic. Good stuff.

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I used Fender mediums since the mid '70s, till a year or two ago. I switched to Dunlop Tortex orange picks, because they feel about the same and sound real simlilar, and it takes a lot longer to wear out. But I have to reshape them so that they'll have a sharper tip like the Fender Mediums.

3. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Try some Claytons. Hard to go back...

4. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

I've heard good things about claytons, and actaully use to use them. It seems like no one carries them anymore.

5. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I like the Fender mediums but switched to the big triangle pick that Fender puts out in medium..

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

I love a fresh Fender Medium, but I trash them out quickly, and they get a nasty jagged edge. I have been using the Orange Fender tortex picks, which to me feel close, and wear much better. Plus they are easy to see if you drop one, unless the floor is orange LOL

7. brad347

brad347 Member

I think it's understated how much your pick contributes to your sound. Not just the type but how you hold it.

I favor a dark sound so I use the Dunlop 207 Jazztone. They're incredibly thick... you kinda have to re-learn how to play with them. Definitely had to adjust my technique a lil... but worth it for me cause they have the SOUND that I like.

8. TS808

TS808 Member

I just starting using Fender mediums (California clears) and love the feel and the tone I get from them. I was using Claytons before that (Musicians Friend sells them) and even though they're a good pick, I'm liking the Fenders better.

9. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

Same here. I have a heavy right hand, and for jazz this is a no no, so the Mediums help those good ol' jazz chords sound nice, sweet and balanced. I find I get more dynamics out of them too.

10. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I'm the exact opposite. I use the 1.14 Ultex or Delrins. I find I have more control with thick picks. Even for funk rhthyms. I just use my wrist more. I use to use .60 for electric and .80 for acoustic. Once I experimented with a thicker pick I never went back. My playing was a lot sloppier with a thinner pick.

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Fender Extra Heavy in confetti. The colour drops have the tone :D

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I used to use Fender Mediums for electric, but a couple years ago I moved up to Extra Heavy. Has to be Classic Celluloid though!

I still use Fender Thins on acoustics. I've tried to move up to Medium, but I can't get the "bounce" off the strings with anything heavier than Thin.

13. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

dunlop tortex (yellow)

fenders mediums have the perfect action but i DIG HARD when i play and they always break during a show. unacceptable. nylon picks do not break so i compromise.

14. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

I've had great expierence with the mediums. They have the perfect ammount of give in them...I've tried all the dunlops that are around the .65-.83 and they dont quite feel like the mediums. I can see what your saying about them getting torn up, but I'm working on lightening my hand...so it works for me.