Fender Micro Tilt Screw Moving Around

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MGuts, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Just got a new American Strat. When I tilt the guitar forwards or backwards, I can hear a sound like a screw is loose somewhere. Looking at the neck plate, the screw in the Micro-Tilt adjustment opening is moving around when tilting the guitar.

I imagine this is not supposed to be like this?

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Tighten the screw so it has only slight pressure against the brass plate on the neck heel. That'll stop it from rattling or vibrating. If needed, I'd use a shim verses the micro tilt anyway. It's a useless piece of extra hardware to me.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Candid X is right, it has just backed out too much. Just snug it slightly, and if it loosens on its own again, place a drop of Loktite on there.

I agree with Candid, don't use the microtilt (except for temporary reasons away from help). And I will bust my butt not to use it OR a shim on a steady basis.

4. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I have never understood why they put those in. Lots of other makers make bolt on guitars, but only Fender seems to be hung up on the microtilt thing. I don't think Musicman or G&L use them at all. I wonder if it was a Leo Fender idea or not?

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It was a Leo Fender idea, and a good one IMO. Music Man and G&L both utilized the microtilt idea. If you've ever had to take a neck off multiple times to get shims just right you would appreciate the microtilt.

6. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I have that problem on my old 40th Anniversary Strat. The micro-tilt piece is completely out of it's hole and rattling around loose in there.

It's a completely easy fix I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I actually like the micro-tilt adjusters though. I think they're ingenious! It's a little more convenient than installing a shim.

Just slack the strings... loosen the neck bolts... screw the micro-tilt in slightly.... tighten everything back up and it's good to go.

I really like it and I find it very effective.

I also consider installing shims a very easy and effective process as well though.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I didn't know that! Funny stuff about people not patenting their ideas. Paul Bigsby and Nathan Daniel never bothered to patent their ideas so Leo Fender borrowed some of them, then he never bothered to patent his own original body shapes....:omg

Nutty!

8. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Danelectro didn't patent any of its ideas. There are supposed to be various big amp companies that make variations of the designs Nathan D. came up with for his amps.