• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender Mid 60s C

proxy

Fender describes the H.E.R. Signature Strat as a Mid 60s C.

I’m trying to find the 1st and 12th fret depth specs but can’t.

Fender lists these, but the closest thing to “Mid 60s” is the 65 spec that has a .820 1st depth.

Does Fender mean 65 when they say “Mid 60s C”?

Last edited:

Whitecat

In the Custom Shop, where I presume these carves are derived from, ‘Mid 60s Oval C’ is its’ own thing, 65 C is different. The problem is that the Mid 60s Oval C can vary wildly in depth. A few years ago it was almost invariably 0.790” at the 1st fret, but recently have seen it at 0.820” and even 0.850” on many of the recent 72 Tele RIs. I suppose with the CS a customer/dealer can spec that shape in conjunction with any depth they want. So to answer your question, no idea, you’d need to ask Fender or measure one!

proxy

In the Custom Shop, where I presume these carves are derived from, ‘Mid 60s Oval C’ is its’ own thing, 65 C is different. The problem is that the Mid 60s Oval C can vary wildly in depth. A few years ago it was almost invariably 0.790” at the 1st fret, but recently have seen it at 0.820” and even 0.850” on many of the recent 72 Tele RIs. I suppose with the CS a customer/dealer can spec that shape in conjunction with any depth they want. So to answer your question, no idea, you’d need to ask Fender or measure one!
Thanks. That was my suspicion. Clear as mud lol. Not you, Fender’s marketing department.

Maybe it’s amplified by the pandemic, but I’m perfectly happy buying guitars online (way too much so), because I generally find modern manufacturing quite consistent, as long as I can get 1st and 12th fret depth specs, because those are the biggest predictors of my satisfaction with the way a guitar feels to me.

Maybe Fender has legitimate reasons for not wanting to publish that info, but I think as we move more into a world or online buying, it would make it much easier.

I can’t imagine ever buying an online guitar without those details.

Fro68

Gold Supporting Member
Fender does publish their measurements. The first and 12th measurements are printed on every custom ship COA.
My Strats neck measures -Custom Spec'd Mid 60's Oval C neck profile (.825" - .945")

proxy

True, they publish them for some guitars they make. For a Custom Shop guitar, those details are findable on the Shop Traveler, but that detail is often omitted when listed for sale which I find surprising, as the neck dimensions are arguably one of the most personal and important factors when it comes to feel.

For the many other non-Custom Shop guitars, it seems to be even less clear. Maybe they’re concerned about tolerances, although I’m sure legalize could help smooth that over.

Wildwood is good about listing that detail, which I find super valuable when shopping their site.

proxy

So, I reached out to a couple of stores and they were nice enough to provide specs.

One said the 1st fret was .872
Another said .800
And another said 1/2 mm

Maybe Fender has really loose tolerances, or maybe one included the strings, and another only measured the strings, and maybe the 1st fret depth is actually .800.

For others interested in this model, and curious about the neck profile, I also contacted Fender, and they said the R&D documentation says:
1st: 820
2nd: .974
Radius: 9.5

Trending Topics