Fender Mustang III or Roland XL80?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Toneseeker361, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

I tried the MIII today, it was ehhh, but then i remembered it was a public store, and everyone and their brother may have changed and saved some of the settings.
    they are not like the "old" amps, where you can walk up and see where everything is set.
    anyhoo, the amp operation seemed to be really, how shall I say, I guess busy would be the word.
    For me anyway, it has everything, I mean everything, and I got some good tones out of it.
    BUT...there is the FIZZ question, this one did not have it, but there are many that do. (as per the internet)
    Then I saw the Roland 80XL...this one seemed like a "set it and forget it" type amp.
    Everything is nice and layed out infront of me, I can tell where everything is set at a glance. The sound isn't bad either..
    Are there any issues with the Roland 80XL that you may have heard of???
    Im sure I can get some usable tones from the Fender, but the Roand seems easier to use.
    And the Fender is $80.00 cheaper too.....
    Anyone use a MIII or 80XL???

2. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

That's a tuffy... I have a Mustang III and have played thru a Cube 80XL. The Cube is pretty good, but I don't think it's as versatile as the MIII. Plus, I like the MIII interface a bit more.

I'm selling mine however... Going back to vintage Fender stuff. Just smaller than my old Twin.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Discounting actual difference in how they sound, all that complication on the Fender means it's likely a lot more versatile without resorting to extra pedals and whatnot. And of course you don't have to delve any deeper than you want to get it setup how you'd like. I had a Mustang II when they first came out for a while... just to check it out. I replaced the speaker with a very well broken in Weber Blue Dog. I pretty much gone one entire bank setup with Fender tones and another bank setup with all Vox tones. After I got it in the ballpark with the Fuse software, I just tweaker it from the amp.

Having said that, as far as the actual tones... the Mustang seems to me to have better Fender, Vox and early Marshall tones. The Roland seems to do better with cleans and jazz tones and seems a bit better built.

4. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

Thanks to both of you, very useful info

5. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

I have a Mustang I , II and now an MIII and love it.
    If I'm not mistaken the "fizz" issue is related to the firmware in the DSP which was fixed in the most recent upgrade.

It does take quite a bit of patience getting it just where you like it but I'm really enjoying the tones!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

called MF, they said I can get an MIII for 254.00 with thier 15% off deal they have going on...
    And I just found out it comes with recording software, is it any good???