Fender Mustang IV hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Metallicdream91, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

I just picked up a brand new, fresh out of the box Mustang IV, and I noticed a very subtle background hiss. I wanted to know if this was a common thing with Mustangs, or if something is wrong with mine.

2. xtian

xtian Member

Par for the course with the inexpensive digital front ends in the Mustang and XD series.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    This hiss has been going on since the beginning. I called Fender on this and they told me it is normal in some settings. They said they do not intend to do anything to correct it.

I was about to buy a Mustang V head, but instead got a Vox VT80+, which sounded and felt better. The Vox only cost me $250, and I only use it for really tight stage venues anyway.

4. Scott57

Scott57 Member

Interesting. This is the first I've every heard of a hiss issue with the XD series. I've never encountered a hiss problem with my Super Champ XD in the four/five years I've owned one.

5. xtian

xtian Member

It's not a "problem", exactly, it's just a fact of life. I've got a 15watt Tweaker, too. If you sit down, right in front of the speaker cone and play with similar gain settings on both amps, the XD has a far higher noise floor than the Tweaker. And now I know it's the XD's digital preamp, because I put in the preamp bypass mod so I can go direct to the tube section. Removes the hiss entirely.

The hiss isn't really noticeable when you stand up and play at a decent volume. But if you get down and lean in, you'll hear it.

6. fjwiv

fjwiv Supporting Member

Ditto.

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hiss is different than 'fizz', which is a distortion of the note when playing clean as the volume fades. This has been discussed to death. Hiss when not playing is different, if that's what you're referring to. Should be quite on a clean patch, not so much on a gainy patch, but iirc there's a gate to tame that.

The Mustang amps are big bang for the buck, but for so few bucks, you don't get it all....

jon

8. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Thanks for the help, all...it's definitely nothing to write home about, just a very low hiss that I get regardless of what channel or tone I'm using. It still sounds great for what it is, so I'm not complaining, was just curious.