Fender Mustang Micro Headphone Amp

Coxon2323

I decided to pick one up today on the way for an overnight work trip.

It’s pretty good so far into rather crappy headphones, but I did notice the hiss issue, mainly in the clean Twin model - it appears gradually after letting a note or chord sustain, and as it increases in volume, lasts 2-3 seconds before cutting off - even if the note is still sustaining. Really kills that particular model. I don’t know yet if it is on the original firmware, or if upgrading the firmware will be the remedy...not a deal-breaker, as I like quite a few of the other models, so I have no intention of returning it.

That's unfortunate with the hiss.
I also get hiss on my GT40 but have learned to live with it.
You can still jam along to an amp3 player and not hear it over the music.
It does limit the amp but it's not the end of the world

Picked this up a couple of days ago...very happy with it. Hiss is not an issue for me, there is some, but nowhere near as much of an issue as been made out here IMO.
Favouring the 65 Deluxe with modulated reverb, and would love to see next firmware remove a couple of the high gain options (sorry metalheads) and give us the 65 Deluxe with light plate reverb, and please, please adjustable gain for the effect?
The best thing about this format IMO is that as some have said here already, given the modest options it's very easy to dial in something very usable and play..more time playing and less time tweaking...works great for running through Truefire lessons from your computer or along to a backing track...
I have a couple of 'real' tube amps, pedalboard and a THRII for headphone practice but I can use this thing anywhere so am definitely playing more and improving because of that...yes even in a few days
If you are on the fence about one of these I would go for it....for what is basically the cost of a couple of tanks of gas (here in Oz anyway) I don't think you can go wrong...Thank you Fender!

MrTAteMyBalls

Picked this up a couple of days ago...very happy with it. Hiss is not an issue for me, there is some, but nowhere near as much of an issue as been made out here IMO.
Favouring the 65 Deluxe with modulated reverb, and would love to see next firmware remove a couple of the high gain options (sorry metalheads) and give us the 65 Deluxe with light plate reverb, and please, please adjustable gain for the effect?
The best thing about this format IMO is that as some have said here already, given the modest options it's very easy to dial in something very usable and play..more time playing and less time tweaking...works great for running through Truefire lessons from your computer or along to a backing track...
I have a couple of 'real' tube amps, pedalboard and a THRII for headphone practice but I can use this thing anywhere so am definitely playing more and improving because of that...yes even in a few days
If you are on the fence about one of these I would go for it....for what is basically the cost of a couple of tanks of gas (here in Oz anyway) I don't think you can go wrong...Thank you Fender!

I still use mine. The ONLY thing I would change is give us some control over input gain. For my high output rock guitar with EMG pickups I can't even really get a clean tone here. And for my strats I would like a little more input gain.

Otherwise I am loving mine and use it all the time.

Coxon2323

Im thinking of getting one of these with christmas money
I have a few questions..
Is it worth it?
i dont want do buy something thats not worth it..
Also, i already have a GT40, for what reason can you say buying the micro?
Thanks

sliberty

Im thinking of getting one of these with christmas money
I have a few questions..
Is it worth it?
i dont want do buy something thats not worth it..
Also, i already have a GT40, for what reason can you say buying the micro?
Thanks

If you have to ask.... :)

The Mustang Micro is a good sounding, portable, VERY easy to grab and set up silent practice tool. And, it doesn't have to be silent. You can play it through your powered monitors (if you have some). It is well worth the price Fender charges for it IF YOU NEED SUCH A DEVICE. If you already have some other way to play silently with amp and effect simulations, and if it is easy to just get started playing (ie: from the moment you decide to play, to the moment you are playing, what does it take to get setup?), then the only real benefit left might be portability.

I like mine, and feel it was worth the expense.

Last edited:

Coxon2323

Its £90 at guitar guitar, will probably get one during the week. I can use the GT 40 as a pedal amp and this on its on for easily accessible fender clean sounds. Cool!

Quad4

IMG_20210627_195556815.jpg
The Mustang Micro is a good sounding, portable, VERY easy to grab and set up silent practice tool. And, it doesn't have to be silent. You can play it through your powered monitors

It sounds great and has made living room practicing a reality in my house.

100% agree. Playing on the couch you can also listen to tv or music via the Bluetooth input.

Also good around the campfire with a low end consumer grade Bluetooth speaker via aux-in (not all work due to the speaker's latency and sound quality ... and its a matter of being good enough, not great).

Great when traveling. It's on the top rock in the photo.

Coxon2323

im looking forward to owning one of these. If the twin 57 sounds anything as good as the GT40 amp then I’ll be so pleased. Im also looking forward to trying the crunch and distorted tones. Hopefully the unit wont have any hissing issues.

Crg11

The Micro is great for clean sounds, very pleased with it. Perfect for me to practice while going through the JustinGuitar lessons (playing over Bluetooth from my iPad).

I’m a bit disappointed at the higher gain amp sounds on my Bullet Mustang. There is some usable tones that’ll work but aren’t anywhere near my favorite. Just too dark and doesn’t sound right, despite playing with the EQ. Not sure if a different guitar will improve this. Maybe I’ll get a pedal or two for distorted guitar songs that I’m learning and want a better sound for.

My living situation necessitates headphone use for the foreseeable future, so I’m liking this ampless rig. Simple, compact, and flexible. Maybe I’ll go the route of a Pod Go or Headrush MX5 when I’m ready for more effects.

MrTAteMyBalls

The Micro is great for clean sounds, very pleased with it. Perfect for me to practice while going through the JustinGuitar lessons (playing over Bluetooth from my iPad).

I’m a bit disappointed at the higher gain amp sounds on my Bullet Mustang. There is some usable tones that’ll work but aren’t anywhere near my favorite. Just too dark and doesn’t sound right, despite playing with the EQ. Not sure if a different guitar will improve this. Maybe I’ll get a pedal or two for distorted guitar songs that I’m learning and want a better sound for.

My living situation necessitates headphone use for the foreseeable future, so I’m liking this ampless rig. Simple, compact, and flexible. Maybe I’ll go the route of a Pod Go or Headrush MX5 when I’m ready for more effects.

Just stick to the Friedman patch. Sounds great and responds well to volume control if it's too much gain.

Quad4

Yes, rolling back the guitar volume on many of the high gain amps opens another set of tones.

Crg11

Wasn't sure if the new Micro I bought had the latest firmware (is there a way to tell?), so I flashed it and seems fine still. A little noise but nothing showstopping.

jjwqq

Got the Micro for Christmas. Immediately noticed the 2-3 second hiss that cuts off when I first tried it. Updated the firmware and it disappeared. Loving it, takes my pedals well too!

Coxon2323

I'd probably use it as a pedal less amp(thingy) and use the GT40 as the amp with pedals.
Thats good the hiss went away for you! the tones must be lovely

Coxon2323

What are everyone's favourite settings on this?
I can't wait to try the 57 twin.
Are the distorted tones any good because I didn't rate the GT40's tones as that great.

Quad4

What are everyone's favourite settings on this?

Amps:
- '57 Twin (Green)
- AC30 (Blue)
- Marshall Super Lead (Magenta)
- Sometimes: '65 Deluxe + Tube Screamer (Yellow)
- Sometimes: The higher gain amps with my guitar volume carefully adjusted down

Effect:
- Modulated Large Hall (Green)

Note: Not a lot of other settings on this device which are good to share (a pro and a con of this device. EQ is more related to guitar and headphone/speaker/room than "tone" you are chasing.

What I like varies a lot based upon the guitar/pickup I'm using.

Key to distorted (and some other clean/edge of breakup) tones is rolling back your guitar volume and playing with your guitar tone knob. (Note: I do not chug!) Some guitars clean up better than others. Need to have extra headroom for this to increase the volume on the Micro to compensate (harder to driver headphones or wimpier powered speakers can lead to lower volumes/thin sound).

Trying to nail an exact tone on this device is not the point. There's not that much to tweak. The idea is to get a good sound and play!

The better your headphones, the better the experience. I tried a lot of cheaper (more portable) headphones before I went on a trip and ended up bringing my HD 6xx.

Last edited:

Crg11

Do people expect Fender to release an upgraded version of the micro?
Or is it a one off product?

They could probably just keep this version indefinitely and tweak the amps/effects with firmware updates as needed.

One obvious upgrade that may necessitate a new or higher end model: using Fender Tone to control the effects like you can on a GTX amp.

Quad4

Do people expect Fender to release an upgraded version of the micro?
Or is it a one off product?

The correct verb is "hope". I expect little ... and hope for a firmware update at some point.

IMHO I'd pay more for the following:
  • A bit more control/choice over presets/effects (perhaps not in realtime). Allow drive pedal and reverb to be used at same time. This is a very slippery slope for this product (and contrary to the design philosophy), sets higher expectations, and will lead to people forever tweaking crappy presets that don't approach the carefully curated presets.
  • Bi-directional, low latency Interface
    • with an option/separate input channel that does not mix in the Bluetooth audio.
      • Hopefully Fender allows this to be disabled in the next firmware upgrade as it messes up the looper on my phone.
  • Tuner (nice to have, but not a must have)
  • A (60 second?) looper
    • Note: A bidirectional interface plus my preferred good mobile app looper might be good enough/better.
    • with BLE midi or separately purchasable proprietary BLE footswitch. The following is an amazingly cheap design Fender could mimic:
    • 712cf2Ud19L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In the would it be great department (but what are you smoking), an add-on powered speaker.

Call it a Practice/Campfire FRFR if you like. Perhaps a hard sell in terms of price and expectations as the total cost (micro + speaker + battery) competes with the price point of the low end Fender Amps that are much more capable (but not as portable). Perhaps this is a cab (not FRFR) and the Micro II can disable the IR.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom