Fender Mustang Micro Headphone Amp

vino_buono

What are everyone's favourite settings on this?
I can't wait to try the 57 twin.
Are the distorted tones any good because I didn't rate the GT40's tones as that great.

The Twin is to die for, and the clean tones are all good.

The plexi is good. Maybe a bit congested in the lows and I wish it has a tad more gain, but definitely usable. With that, I like to use increase the highs via the EQ.

The Friedman is very good, but a bit scooped. If it has too much gain, just roll back the guitar volume a bit.

The recto seems fine, but just not my thing. The Uber has way too much gain for me, YMMV.

For leads, I like the tape delay + reverb, reducing the effect strength.

Quad4

Would you be willing to share how you are using the Micro with a looper? Thanks! John

USB C to phone running looper app on phone. BT out of looper back to Micro.

The BT playback has latency, so not optimal.

Generally one layer (since audio interface output includes the BT input which is a shame). If I overdub, create a new track and disable the original track upon playback.

Would be better to have bidirectional USB interface. Would be better if interface output did not include BT input.

Screamworks

Just saw a video on what a version 2 may bring in theory. I think the idea of adding a button for toggled presets and the looper is great, as most alternatives like the phone ones are difficult to use.

MrTAteMyBalls

The plexi is good. Maybe a bit congested in the lows and I wish it has a tad more gain, but definitely usable. With that, I like to use increase the highs via the EQ.

The Friedman is very good, but a bit scooped. If it has too much gain, just roll back the guitar volume a bit.

The recto seems fine, but just not my thing. The Uber has way too much gain for me, YMMV.

To me, gain staging is the ONLY thing this device lacks.

When I play my strats it is hard to get enough gain unless I go with the UBER. everything is kind of super clean or pushed clean. I like strat hard rock tones!!! I can get close with the Friedman, but not quite enough.

However, when I play my high output schecters with it, there isn't a clean sound to be had. It has so much output that even the cleanest amps are distorting. With my LP I don't have this issue, but it has only half the output.

Maybe a selectable pad of a few dB would sort that issue but I would also like an input gain boost for my low output guitars.

Or just control over a gain knob for each amp. Still, I really love the device and I use it all the time.

luckymethod

I thought the high gain sounds sucked to be perfectly honest, and the input was calibrated for lower output pickups which made the unit nigh-unusable with my fishman fluence guitars.

vino_buono

I thought the high gain sounds sucked to be perfectly honest, and the input was calibrated for lower output pickups which made the unit nigh-unusable with my fishman fluence guitars.
I guess to some extent it depends on the guitar you are using. For example my PRS does not like the plexi model at all and flubs badly, but it works very well with the Friedman. It’s different with other guitars. The lack of adjustability is what I like about the device, but one has to come to terms with the drawbacks.

MrTAteMyBalls

Totally unusable with my EMG's and my baritone schecters with high output passives, too.

Quad4

To me, gain staging is the ONLY thing this device lacks.

When I play my strats it is hard to get enough gain unless I go with the UBER. everything is kind of super clean or pushed clean. I like strat hard rock tones!!! I can get close with the Friedman, but not quite enough.

However, when I play my high output schecters with it, there isn't a clean sound to be had. It has so much output that even the cleanest amps are distorting. With my LP I don't have this issue, but it has only half the output.

100% agree that having some control over gain (or boost/overdrive) would help a lot. A while back I suggested the use of double tap (and blinking led's) as a means to edit/display a few more parameters without (any?) hardware changes.

For the high output pickups, have you tried rolling back the volume on the guitar? Many of the presets clean up nicely.

Last edited:

Quad4

I think a tuner is the most useful thing they could add to be honest.
It would be nice for convenience, but a tuner is very easy to workaround with a clip-on tuner (most people already have or can cheaply buy). I'd use it though but prefer limited development effort to be focused on what I can't do with the device.

FYI the video was a bit underwhelming and mostly a review with a small number of obvious wishes.

My top items:
  • Some user control of the presets, gain staging, and/or input padding/boost
  • Some way to use a looper:
    • Add a short looper to the next gen device (with a BLE footswitch)
    • Allow users to disable sending the BLE input to the USB Interface output stream (allows for overdubs in an external software looper on your phone....)
    • Make the USB interface bidirectional (reduces latency for a looper playback versus BLE; also allows listening to tv/movie on Bluetooth while using a looper)
  • Simple way to toggle back and forth between two settings (double click a button)

MrTAteMyBalls

100% agree that having some control over gain (or boost/overdrive) would help a lot. A while back I suggested the use of double tap (and blinking led's) as a means to edit/display a few more parameters without (any?) hardware changes.

For the high output pickups, have you tried rolling back the volume on the guitar? Many of the presets clean up nicely.

Yes. I just don't like the sound of rolled back volume unless there is a treble bleed. Of course it's possible but it works fine with my strat, RGX, and LP so I just use it with those guitars.

An input gain double tap feature sounds amazing and would totally solve it.

doninoakland

Ok, this is starting to make sense.

I really like my MM, but I use it with low output passive SCs, and relatively low gain. I can see where perceptions would vary, if you have HBs, high output, or like high gain.

So, if you have a typically low output single coil Fender and you don't need high gain, I highly recommend the MM as a practice tool.

Earl Foote

Gold Supporting Member
In addition to practicing guitar and bass, (and even pedal steel) I use mine to listen to YouTubes on my phone in noisy environments. The headphone amp in the Micro is much louder than the one in my I-Phone.

Screamworks

Still loving my Micro. I am looking at desktop amps and right want to get the Positive Grid Spark Mini too. I think Fender does it right so would like to have something from them. Is there a Fender Mustang Mini or some kind of desktop practice amp coming soon?

Right now I know the LT25 is small, but still not a desktop amp IMO

Marco.au

My favourite desktop amp is still the Yamaha THR, but there are a few choices on the boss katana air, Vox adio, spark. I don’t think fender has a desktop version of the mustang.

DrNCT

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe a little bigger than "desktop" but a used Mustang GT40, with the latest firmware, has the same amp models, effects and footswitch options as the GTX amps.

Screamworks

My favourite desktop amp is still the Yamaha THR, but there are a few choices on the boss katana air, Vox adio, spark. I don’t think fender has a desktop version of the mustang.
I bought or at least heavily demo'd most of these, and none of them seemed to entice me the way the Mustang Micro does, I definitely think the Spark Mini will be a great supplement to the Micro though. I have a drum machine and it sounds like trash through most amps (including the THR10, which advertises full range but is still not clear relative to the Spark which you could listen to music on). I was just hoping @stilwel or any one in the loop with Fender would hint they are working on a "Mustang Mini" before I end up ordering the Spark Mini.

Marco.au

I bought or at least heavily demo'd most of these, and none of them seemed to entice me the way the Mustang Micro does, I definitely think the Spark Mini will be a great supplement to the Micro though. I have a drum machine and it sounds like trash through most amps (including the THR10, which advertises full range but is still not clear relative to the Spark which you could listen to music on). I was just hoping @stilwel or any one in the loop with Fender would hint they are working on a "Mustang Mini" before I end up ordering the Spark Mini.
I haven’t had issues with the THR 10C playing along with music, but Lee (Anderton’s) complains about the original THRs to work with loopers. His complaint sounds similar to yours.

He also said that was resolved - for his specific application - in the THR II.

Hope the link comes at the right time, but if not: 28:00.

Top Bottom