Fender neck profiles for beginners?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sketches, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sketches

sketches Member

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. What neck profile would you recommend to a beginner? Putting together a Telecaster project and I'm looking for ideas on the neck. There doesn't seem to be enough information out there on these (or at least diagrams/comparisons) but I would really like some feedback. I'm thinking C shape with vintage frets at the moment 'cos that's what my old Classic 50's Telecaster had and I rather dug that. My hands would be considered 'medium sized' I guess. I'm just trying to get the most of my playing (aka making excuses). :eek:

p.s. I know I could just go and try them out but it's a bit hard to ask the clerk what eat and every model is so I can reference them to see whether it's a U or a C shape neck...

2. bynt

bynt Member

Most of the stock Fender stuff (to my knowledge) is a slimmer "C". I personally don't resonate with that shape at all. If you can find a Jimmie Vaugh strat, those are a soft "V". Then (I'm not the best at this, some of the Fender guru's will hopefully chime in) I think that the 52 reissue tele is a "U". But I"m not sure on that. I'd say go play a couple of Standard Strats and see if you like those. I would suggest trying a thicker necked guitar as well. You'd be surprised to find how much easier they are to play for some folks with "mid-sized" to larger hands. I hate slimmer necks now. My hands get tired way too easy with them.

3. fishlog

fishlog Member

If your putting together a Tele from parts your going to have a harder time and spend more money looking for any thing other than the classic 'C' Profile. I have a Soft 'V' on my Parts Tele and I love it but it certainly makes it a much larger neck to play then the usual 'C' you find on a strat at your local guitar store. It also was MORE money. I found one on a CIJ 55' Tele RI. If your a beginner, which I believe you said you were, The 'C' I think is the easiest to play. The Soft V is fun but different, I would stay away from anything else i.e. Hard 'V' or 'U' . Check out Fender.com they actually have a lot of links and you may find some diagrams.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I don't think there is a beginner/intermediate/expert shape. Everyone is different...I prefer a fat U shape like the Nocasters have, a slightly less fat U like the US52RI has or an even slightly less fat U shape like the CIJ 52 has...I don't much like C shape to me its all about the shoulder...If you like the shape of your 50's classic go with that which is a C shape IIRC. There is also not much correlation between small hands/thin neck or vice versa...Some people with small hands prefer big baseball bat necks and some people with huge hands like little baby pencil necks.

5. 8Painting

8Painting Member

What about the 24" Mustang/Jag scale?