Fender necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 20forSeven, Jan 19, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Do all 4 bolt fender necks fit on any 4 bolt bodies?

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

No they are not always a direct fit. Some have different neck pocket shapes and even the ones that have the same shape, the screw holes sometimes do not line up.

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Would a 69 custom shop neck fit on a TexMex Strat?

4. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Is there any place you can by authentic fender necks new other than ebay? Fender use to sell there 62 and 57 necks but now they must of stopped.

5. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Personally I wouldn't even bother with a Fender neck, CS or not, that is until they catch-up to the 21st Century and start offering SS frets!

:cool:

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I saw those replacement necks online not too long ago, musicians friend had them. good luck

7. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I've heard quite a few folks talk SS frets down. I've never tried 'em so I couldn't say.

Warmoth makes Fender licensed necks (w/SS if you want them) and every one I've ever bought from them has been perfect.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I disagree with these guys. I've used Fender Japan (60's RI) and a Vintage Player neck (Mexico) as well as some custom shop strats, all interchanged necks and bodies before. They've all fit beautifully.

Currently I'm looking for a Robert Cray Mexico neck to go on a relic body. The fit should be no problem. I wouldn't spend all the time and $ if it didn't.

I haven't tried SS frets either, but I hate SS strings, and if I hear a difference in tone between vintage frets and med-jumbos which are both nickel/silver, I'd think I would hear a big difference with SS frets.

I'm not crazy about Warmoth necks too much. I like my necks with NO finish on them and the Warmoth necks warp while the Fenders stay true. In my experience anyhow. I have had great luck with USA guitars, their necks have been very durable and they super service!

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Well if you say it's like turning your presence up a bit, that's what stainless steel strings do. But they really are bright. So if SS frets do that to some extent, that's a pretty good comparison actually. I'd have to pass on that. I don't even like new nickel strings on a guitar. I like them played in and when they get toney and warm sounding.

My comparison was simply with NS vintage frets vs. medium jumbos. I can hear a difference there, so I'm pretty sure I'll hear a big difference with SS frets. I've read some guys say there is no tone difference. How can that be, when even different size frets can change the tone?!