Fender noiseless pickups- How good or bad are they?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

My SRV strat is my main ax but I'm still not 100% loving the Texas Specials. I scored some Fender noiseless pickups in a trade. They are out of a 97' deluxe strat. WIll they at least be better than the ts's?

2. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W. Gold Supporting Member

I have the Noiseless and I honestly think if you want the best strat tone you have to go one of 3 ways. Kinmans, Fender Customshop pups, Lace sensors.

I think the Texas specials are about on par with the noisless

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've heard bad things about the noiseless, but I thought they sounded surprisingly good. Nowhere nears as bad as a lot of people claim. They do need different pots or caps or whatever than standard pickups.

I didn't like Texas Specials at all.

4. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

I have a set (of Hot Noiseless) in one of my strats, and I think the sound pretty good.
    I use them when I am playing/practicing/recording in front of my monitor. I end up with little to no buzz and it sounds like a strat.
    That being said, I do think that you lose some dynamics as they seem to have very even response from one pole piece to another.

5. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

I had a strat with the noiseless pups once, when I was playing in front of my old PC with the CRT monitor. The noiseless made it possible, otherwise it was brutal. Not even humbuckers could stand that monitor. But once I got my MAC with the Apple display, there is no monitor noise to deal with at all.

Tonewise, they were ok, nothing exceptional, nothing horrible.

8. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

ditto on the Texas Specials, never liked em.
    I had several deluxe strats with the noiseless pu's, didnt like those either BUT then I got a CS Classic Players Strat with the Noiseless in it and they sounded great in that guitar. I think those were the hot noiseless. I wonder did the Custom Shop have their own version of the noiseless pickup?

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

For what it's worth. The Fender noisless pickups are good enough for Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.

They both use them ;).

They get more than adequate tone out of their rigs if you ask me....

10. rjgtr

rjgtr Member

I have a Clapton with Vintage Noiseless (replaced original Laces) and I put a set in Japanese made 50's Strat. I think they sound good. They aren't as good at a 50s strat tone as other pickups, but I play in a very noisy room and they solved that issue. I like the fact that they are even from string to string. They do have more output than a normal strat pickup, but again that's ok because it makes it easier to swap from humbucking guitars.

Just my .02.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

My '02 Jeff Beck strat came with Hot Noiseless.
    I think they are awesome. I couldn't be happier.
    I actually prefer them to the Fralin Blues Specials
    in my other strat. They sound like a strat, are quiet,
    but at full twist, have some hair on them too, and are brighter than the Fralins.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How do they Fender Noiseless compare to the Dimarzio stuff?

13. Jazzgear

No disrespect towards Clapton, he's a great player...but his tone is not one I would rave about...

Ironically, I bought a CS Clapton Strat, only because it has exceptional playability and the smoothest neck I've touched. I also like the TBX and Midboost features. However, those CS Hot Vintage craps are on their way out of that guitar.

14. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

I have both - the VV 2.1 do have some hum - the hot noiseless are noiseless. I've a/b'd them to the fat 50's and there is a slight difference. I had the regular noiseless (tried 500k - 1 meg and 250 K pots) and sold them. If you gig in EMF noisey bars the Hot Noiseless are a good value. If you really know how to control your guitar vol knob (and position yourself on quiet passages) you should be able to use regular single coils. BTW - jeff's main strat had Suhr pups in it for a while. You can hear the ground noise on "Brush with the Blues" album version. Solution - be your own noise gate.

15. bynt

bynt Member

http://www.billlawrence.com/

I cannot recommend these enough. I really don't like the SCNs. I think they're lifeless compared to the Bill Lawrences. I like them better than Kinmans (in fairness I've only heard the Blues set, but I like the BL's better). I live them and they are cheap.

I know the Texas Specials get a bad rap but I like them over the SCNs. But I like the Lawrences better than the TS. Give them a shot. I'm spoiled now. I rant about them in every frickin post I can.

16. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

What sounds really good to me are the SCN Pickups that came in my
    April 2006 Deluxe American Strat, complete with S1 switch. I played several of these strats and went home with the juiciest, even though it wasn't the color I wanted. Tone first. Looks later. Turns out I like the looks, as well.

I have two Custom Shop Nocasters with the excellent Vintage Custom Shop Pickups.

All these guitars sound great. Bill Lawrence had quite a hand developing the SCN pickups, I have heard.

Just because they are new and different doesn't mean they are no good.

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

NB_Terry likes this.
  18. Jazzgear

Well, that did occur to me...and I'd be inclined to side with you if I didn't have first hand experience with the Fender Noiseless....and IMHO that clip is a very accurate representation of their tone.:RoCkIn

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've owned 2 SCN equipped strats and thought they sounded great. That clip is a terrible recording and anyone who judges the fender SCN pickups based on a competitor's clip is naive IMO. I don't think the SCNs sound like vintage pickups but IMO, they have a good sound.

20. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

There have been a number of Fender "noiseless" pickups. Some on older guitars. Be sure you are talking about the same pickups. Noiseless doesn't necessarily imply the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups that Fender is putting on its Deluxe American Strat guitars. That is a specific model.

I love the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups that came on my Deluxe American Strat. They sound great. Super neck pickup sound. But I use the bridge a ton, too. There are a total of ten distinctive sounds available from that guitar -- and that's before using tone controls. PLUS, no tone sucking dynamics defeating HUM, which can be just awful from the vintage pickups.

Amps:

Bogner Duende
    1968 Princeton Reverb
    1966 Ampeg Gemini II
    Koch Studiotone.

That Strat sounds dynamite with all four of those amps.

Wish the vintage Custom Shop Pickups had the output of the SCNs. That's another issue. And with some amps, it makes a big difference when you have a hotter signal to start with. No?