Fender player looking to make the PRS jump (SE models)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnK24, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I have a great Amer. Standard Strat and a 50s Classic Tele both which I love. But I'm been hankering for some humbuckers to round out my stable. I'm not looking to spend a few grand, so I'm narrowing the choices to the PRS SE line - the Tremonti Custom, Bernie Marsden and 245 are the lead horses.

For an old blues hack who tinkers with jazz, I'm laughing at myself thinking about buying the Mark Tremonti Custom - but I am blow away with the look of the quilt top models and the black/gray flame model just "speaks to me". I've read the PRS Wide/Thin neck is similar to the Gibson 60's slim taper (which I've played before) - is this accurate ?

I'm hoping to find something in one of these singlecuts that fits in when me and my buddies get together and play some 70s era "classic rock" stuff - Journey, Santana, REO and the like.

I've not played a PRS tremolo bridge, do they hold tune pretty well ? I'm guessing it adds more "snap" to a LP style axe than a stoptail piece bridge.

I've watched a few videos and found this one that really shows me the Tremonti Custom sounds killer, especially in the cleans (which I do play alot):

2. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

The Tremonti is a 25" scale and of course has the tremolo. I've not played one so I can't comment on the neck shape. I've had a Bernie and it was actually a fantastic guitar. The neck didn't have the shoulders of the SE245, just a hair smaller, so I found it suited me better. Didn't have four control knobs though. Both the Bernie and the 245 are 24.5" scale. Frets on the Bernie are "vintage" sized.

I'd take a look at the Zach Meyers too.

3. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I recently bought (from the emporium) a SE245 with that grey/black flame top.
    Dropped a Duncan Custom in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

Beefy neck
    Beefy body
    Beefy sound

Looks and plays great.

4. JohnK24

Good call on the vintage frets on the Bernie...I'll rule that one out.

The ZM model is on the radar too. Sunburst over that strange "green" flame.

5. dazco

dazco Member

There aren't many 25" scale SE's, but i would strongly suggest if you get a SE to get one of those. The 24.5's are great in some ways, but overall they are very dark with no chime at all which kills it for a fender player. I know being a lifelong fender guy who has (and is selling) a 24.5 SE. Tried all sorts of pickups. But that scale with all mahogany (even tho a maple cap) just doesn't lend itself yo good dynamic range. So fenders being the best at that i just could not deal with it. It was nice for high gain soloing and smooth thi inarticulate power chords but misses in too many areas. So for months i was thrilled with it only to eventually not want to pick it up anymore. the 25" SE'd also have maple necks i think which will further thier ability to be more chimey and dynamic and therefore will probably be easier for you to be happy with. The only problem i find with the 25" scale maple neck ones is i think most if not all have very thin necks which i cannot deal with, and i'm not one of those fat neck guys either.

6. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

The older SE singlecut trems are great. Especially if you like two knobs.

7. scott944

scott944 Member

Should be lots of examples in Pittsburgh - what are you doing tomorrow?

8. JohnK24

Probably driving to NStuffMusic :drool

9. stratcpo

stratcpo Member

the SE CU 24 has a 25" scale and the wide thin neck on mine is great. ENJOY!!!

10. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

The 245 is my favorite SE. I had one and sort of wish I had kept it.