Fender player pickups: what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mschafft, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mschafft

mschafft Member

Would they be a significant upgrade on a MIM standard strat? I'm considering SSS player pickups. Stock, the guitar has an HSS configuration. Would you do it?

2. Wishing Wells

Wishing Wells Member

I was able to A B them with a similar strat that had texas specials. I liked the texas specials better but not by a long shot. The players are kind of on the hotter side too.

I don't know if I'd upgrade to them but I don't really feel the need to change them.

valvestate, HERSCHEL and mschafft like this.
  3. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I like the pair I have, though they're humbuckers. They're fairly bright, articulate yet still sound "Fender". They're A5, so not as warm as the MIM standards.

4. storm319

storm319 Member

The player’s singles are very similar to the American Standard/Series singles made from 2000-2011 (aka Delta Tone) although those seemed to have a hotter bridge from what I remember.

IMHO, I actually like the MIM standard ceramic singles better (still not a big fan of any Fender singles though). It all depends on what you are looking for so my recommendation would be to try them out on a player’s strat.