Fender players... can you live with 21 frets?

Vintage Fenders, Standard MIM Fenders, and most Squires are all sporting necks with 21 frets.

Obviously many, many players including some of my favorites have played successfully with 21 frets.

But, it's not really my preference. I like the extra fret and miss it when it's not there at times.

What about you? Can you be a happy Fender player with only 21 frets under your fingers?

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, very. I used to be very used to the 22 because my first "real" guitar was a Fender Highway 1. However, I've gained an appreciation for the non-fretboard-extension, vintage design. I actually prefer it, because I don't like how fretboard extensions look or how they make a light spot in the pickguard over time. Weird, I know.

If I need to hit that high D note, I just bend. :)

cap10kirk

I can deal with 21 frets fine. I don't use all 22 on my Les Paul, I typically don't even go past the 19th.
Really, the only reason I like 24 fret guitars, is because I like the neck pickup position better with 24 frets.

filtersweep

I can barely reach or do anything useful with a fret above 20 on a Fender or Gibson.

My first decent guitar was an American 83 Strat- only ever had 21.

bibir

I never realized there is a 22nd frets. :D

On the serious note, if you are not use to a vintage style fender neck, don't buy one, it's a pain in the ass to pull off the neck for an adjustment if you are not use to it.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Vintage Fenders, Standard MIM Fenders, and most Squires are all sporting necks with 21 frets.

Obviously many, many players including some of my favorites have played successfully with 21 frets.

But, it's not really my preference. I like the extra fret and miss it when it's not there at times.

What about you? Can you be a happy Fender player with only 21 frets under your fingers?

I can recall one time when I went for that 22nd fret and it wasn't there.

No matter how many frets you have, there's always times when you wish you had one more. I mean, I play in F a lot. Where's the 25-fret guitars?

No matter how many frets you have, there's always times when you wish you had one more. I mean, I play in F a lot. Where's the 25-fret guitars?

Here's a few extra frets for you:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3...UICCgB&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=wVBFp4zYLTAkHM:

cam.man67

I've had a couple 22-fretters, but 21 is fine by me. My Squier '51 that I have now is 21, and I've not had any issues.

dmkz

I like the symmetry of 24 frets with two full octaves. That being said most of my guitars have 22 frets.

Was there a reason fender chose 21 frets? More bass tone on the neck pickup?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom