Fender - Post 2006 MIM Quality

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrOctagon, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Hey guys, I always hear people saying "in 2006 Fender really upped their quality in MIM and I'm looking to buy a Mexican strat soon. I'm just wondering what to look for on these newer strats that.distinguishes them from the earlier ones. Is this just some marketing scheme that people bought into or are there specific components to look for if a guitar is made in the 2005-07 area how to tell the "better" ones apart. Obviously in terms of playability I'm going to pick the one that feels right but I'll most likely be buying used so I just wanted to know what to look for. I've never had a chance to A/B post and pre MIM but I played my friends 07 and it was a really nice guitar. Thanks in advance

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

All I know is that the newer ones have slightly different specs (neck, frets) but I have two MIM's from 2000 and the fit and finish on these is flawless.

3. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I think the 2008 onwards when they refreshed the specs are a better bet; but the great thing about variability is there always room for greatness.
    I noticed when testing some recent MIM teles that the wood grain on the neck was very random on some samples; forget quarter sawn or flat sawn ; looked more like random sawn. Interestingly in blind testing the one that sounded the best (richest, most complex sound) was the one with the straightest most uniform grain. Even my wife coule hear the difference. I bought it.

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Had a 2011 MIM Strat HSS w/ Floyd recently. The fit and finish was outstanding. It looked and felt wonderful.

5. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have an 11 MIM Tele.
    Fit and finish is outstanding. Very resonate and plays quite nicely

6. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

Southpaw is right about the specs -- they were upgraded in 2008 along with the American Standard line. The MIM's are great guitars for the money. They won't compare to an American Standard or Custom Shop, and they aren't all consistently good, so try before you buy. I owned a 2009 for a short while that was a great guitar, but I needed to put some cash toward a new tele and sold it. Definitely go for a 2008 or newer.

7. c_mac

c_mac Member

I think a lot of people simply fell for marketing.

8. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I look for accurate vintage spec, ie. string spacing, 50s trem, fretboard radius, 21 frets, 3 low/medium output singles, etc. Mine is 2008 and it's very nice.

9. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

So what exactly are the updated specs? I've heard the switched from vintage-style to medium jumbo frets as well as some electronics and maybe pickup upgrades. I know what I like but basically I'm looking to make sure I get the best components I can in the guitar, mostly electronics. Are they all ceramic or are some Alnico? Also was there a bridge change? If so, what to look for, just steel or are they all steel?

10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

My '95 is great. Still one of my favorite guitars.

[​IMG]

I don't see any quality issues on it.

11. DonP

DonP Member

For MIM Strats, I have 2 1996s, a 2008 and a 2010 FSR with dual hums. The bone stock 1996 I like a LOT - crappy MIM ceramic pickups, trem block, vintage frets and all. The other 1996 was Texas Specials, the 2008 has Tex-Mex. They all sound good.

I will say I'm more of a Gibson / Jackson / Charvel kind of guy, so it doesn't take much to impress me with a strat. MIM's all seem good to me.

12. monty

monty Member

The newer ones also have a bigger block.

13. teleman55

teleman55 Member

As for 2006...don't know about the Strats. On the Teles that year the changed the pickups from alnicoV to hotter ceramic ones. And the frets from vintage to medium jumbo.

14. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

2006 Strats - received med jumbo frets & a larger trem block, pup change also I believe
    2009 Strats - The pups are still ceramic, but were changed, tinted neck, parchment guard, the headstock logo looks better.

I had a 2006 MIM Std, sold it. I now have a 2009 MIM Std & a 2010 MIM Blacktop with new pups in a HSS config. The newer ones worked out better for me, more resonant, whatever, just seem to have better tone no matter the pups.

15. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have an '11 Jazzmaster Classic Player MIM

it's a really cool guitar. neck is VERY nice. frets are nice.
    finish is nice and shiny 1/2" plastic/polyester or whatever.
    The pickups sound really awesome!
    I ALWAYS change my pickups but there's just no need to change these....

very cool guitar

16. dazco

dazco Member

I swear, it could be coincidence, but if it is it's a he|| of one. But so fdar in all of the fenders and fender clones i have owned i have noticed that exact thing and so far it's be like clockwork. I can almost know if a neck is going to sound great or lousy or in between just by how fancy or plain the grain is. You'd be a fool to assume there are no exceptions, of course there are. But i gotta say, the degree of grain in fender necks has been an almost perfect indicator of tonal potential for me so far. And the few ultra fancy necks like birdseye have been complete duds. Had some flame that was pretty ok, but the best have been extremely plain.