Fender Princeton Custom 68 vs Pro JR headroomwise...

Pguitars

I had a pro jr with a Ragin Cajon in it. great amp. Headroom wise is was enough (with a ep booster or distillery on, for more db) so it was close. How is the Princeton 68 headroom wise compared to the pro jr? looks like a nice amp. Love Jim camplingo tones:D

jim lavender

I would probably go for the 65 Prri if you are into Campilongo as it is a brighter sounding amp. The 68 is darker and almost tweedy at time to my ears. A good tone but not you typical blackface sound. I have been informed that there is a mod to change it to blackface specs. As far as headroom I think the Princeton would stay cleaner and louder than the PJ although that ragin Cajun is an efficient and loud speaker.

johnh

Bump - I'm interested in this question. I'm assuming the OP means clean headroom, but I'm also interested in overall volume.

I did play a 68 Custom Princeton recently and was really impressed. I always found the PRRIs too bright, but the 69 Custom was lovely - very warm sounding.

Pguitars

Bump - I'm interested in this question. I'm assuming the OP means clean headroom, but I'm also interested in overall volume.

I did play a 68 Custom Princeton recently and was really impressed. I always found the PRRIs too bright, but the 69 Custom was lovely - very warm sounding.

I was really impressed too. I dont like its not a Point to point amp.

Pguitars

I had a pro jr with a Ragin Cajon in it. great amp. Headroom wise is was enough (with a ep booster or distillery on, for more db) so it was close. How is the Princeton 68 headroom wise compared to the pro jr? looks like a nice amp. Love Jim camplingo tones:D

and how is the Tone King Falcon headroom wise too the pro jr and princeton custom 68

Darkness

I've got a 65 prri and 68 CPR and like them both. I have a Rajun Cajun in the 65 and WGS G10C in the 68. I did mod a 68 to reduce the bass and posted it hear on TGP (see link below). One of the mods Fender did to the 68 was raise the bass floor, it's simple to mod if your ok with a soldering iron and careful not to touch high voltages.

68 CPR Bass mod https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...om-princeton-reverb-to-much-bass-mod.1739491/
Did you end up leaving it jumpered? I noticed your mention that the amp sounded thinner with the jumper. Was there a solution to that too?

67super

Did you end up leaving it jumpered? I noticed your mention that the amp sounded thinner with the jumper. Was there a solution to that too?
I currently have the jumper in place. With the WGS speaker installed I am happy, for now at least :rolleyes:.

EDIT: That added resistor is one of several mods Fender did to make is a "custom" version. The other mods add up a to nice sounding amp, IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom