Fender Princeton Recording Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DWB1960, Feb 22, 2008.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Anyone been using one of these for a long period of time? I've already searched thru the archives but would like some fresh input if anyone has any. How well does the attenuator work? Will this get classic Fender tones with verb that can be played at bedroom levels without waking someone down the hall?

[​IMG]

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I haven't used one for a long time, but I have done the old test drive.

As far as tone is concerned, it is like comparing a real Deluxe Reverb with the DRRI. It has the vibe, but it doesn't quite nail it. But not a bad sound overall, and I think it could be greatly improved with tubes and speakers as usual.

Of course, after you buy it and pay for upgrades, you could buy a real PR used.

The compressor is OK. I don't normally use them at all, so my opinion is probably useless.

The overdrive is also just OK. It kind of sounds like a TS9, but not exactly. Not bad, but not great either.

The attenuator sounds like an L-Pad. It works well if you are just trying to knock it down -3dB or maybe even -6dB, but it gets pretty dull below that.

It's an interesting concept, but I would have left off the "pedals" and just gone with the attenuator. And I certainly would not have left out the PR's sweet sounding tremolo!

As always, YMMV.

3. supar6

supar6 Member

I agree with s2. I've tried one recently and it does sound nice but is only really useful without the crap they tried piling on top. They would have been MUCH better off leaving out the junk. For the $$$ I'd probably spend a few extra bucks and get the real thing.

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I'm getting one. The attenuator is what makes it for me, as both of my other tube amps (Budda SDII and Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe Reissue) are pretty darn loud for bedroom playing - especially when my wife is trying to watch TV or work on her computer. The compressor and OD are just icing on the cake.

5. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

6. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

This is my main amp right now. I own a Super Champ XD, 1990's Fender Super 210 (with hotrodded tubes/speakers is a major diamond in the rough), and an old 60's gibson amp.

All my amps have NOS tubes. I haven't changed the speaker on the Princeton recording yet, but with all vintage tubes it is really amazing. The compressor is perfect, the distortion is horrible like all fender amps.

The attenuator works great and for recording it is just simply amazing.

7. seventn

seventn Member

jdogjent: What do you mean by "and for recording it is just simply amazing"? Are you talking mic'ed or with the rec out? If its mic'ed, what kind of sound do you like recoding with it?

I'm not sure if I should get this of Deluxe RI for recording in my studio

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I'd say it depends on how loud you can go in your studio. DRRI is pretty darn loud in a small studio. PRA has the attenuator that (I think) works really well in getting driven tone in a lower volume setting.

9. seventn

seventn Member

But clean-wise they can pretty much deliver the same sound?

10. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

I wanted one badly... until I played one.....
    The amp is loud, the attenuator is just OK, the more you push it the worst it becomes.... I don't know, I guess I didn't like it after all.
    Play one before buying, they are not hard to find.

:cool:

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

What kind of speaker is stock in a PRA? It's too bad if Fender remakes a great circuit design and puts mediocre tubes and/or speaker in it that turn away would-be buyers after they try the amp.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Member