Fender Princeton Reverb "re-issue"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Loni Specter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

A little birdie told me that our beloved Princeton Reverb Blackface will be the next legendary amp released this summer.
    Guess where you will get to see it on the east coast first on May 10th! :D

2. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Nice, but I'm betting it will be at a price point that would likely make getting an Allen Sweet Spot more sensible. I suppose we'll see.

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

Did this little birdie mention if it will be a true reissue,ie a hand wired replica of the original or a PCB amp with 'princeton reverb' written on the front of it.If it's the latter,count me out.If it's done right like they did with the 5e3 though then i'll almost certainly buy one.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i believe the earlier thread predicted PCB construction and a price point a little bit less than the DRRI.

5. DavidH

DavidH Member

Oh well,nevermind.I guess they are in business to make money,can't blame 'em for that.It's not a Princeton reverb then.Maybe they should come up with new names for their amps.

6. re-animator

Chillax man. The RI series aren't bad amps at all... but they are really the heirs to the old school fenders. No they aren't PTP, but there are as many of them on stages today as there were black and silverface fenders in the 60s.

IMO, with speaker/tube mods they sound outstanding for the pricepoint.

7. DavidH

DavidH Member

OK:D Point taken.Just expressing a little dissapointment.I'm sure they're not bad amps,i just kind of wish they did more hand wired replicas.

8. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I don`t get the point ... Lot`s of McDonalds today too ..more than there were in the 60`s .. I`ve never played a modded RI but off the shelf were lifeless thin dissapointments

9. EndOfSystem

EndOfSystem Senior Member

I do like the 65 twin RI as it sits at the music store.
    Although I haven't heard it live and loud.

If I wanted a twin though, I probably pick up a SF one.

EOS

10. re-animator

The point is that the fender RI line is the weapon of choice for more fender players these days than any other sort of amp. They are workhorse amps and more than a few players and listeners dig the tone.

as for a PTP version.... i don't think it makes much sense for Fender to reissue a ton of PTP amps since the cost would be so damn high for parts and labor. You're almost definitely gonna get more quality for your dollar with small low-overhead builders like allen.

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

A friend of mine has a DRRI and it is a serious amp. I'd definitely consider a PRRI in that same line.

12. doublee

doublee Member

My experience with a DRRI has been: it sounded fantastic then I started to mess with it: Got NOS as per the hype...sounded even better for a few months then then ALL the NOS went downhill one after the other in the space of 18 months. Maybe should have left it as it was. Now I am constantly trying to figure exactly which NOS is f---g up. Have put tighter speakers in it, currently a JBL but honestly its been the 'NOS" tubes that have been the problem...YMMV of course, but our beloved tube dealers may reserve the good stuff for certain clients. Can only go on my experience so far ( 54 year old tele picker) is all I'm saying. Maybe someone has a reference for a really good dealer that stands behind their product?

13. WahmBoomAh

No offense ... I`m no tech here .,, but without running the tubes on a tester ..or let`s say ... without having access to a tester or to someone qualified with one ... how can you be sure that it`s a tube issue ?
    Unfortunately ,,with PTP or PCB ... we can`t really figure this stuff out by ourselves without a qualified tech . Get a new 12ax7 and a new 12at7 and swap em in there ...see if it tightens it up ...good luck

14. doublee

doublee Member

No offense taken, they were indeed tested,

15. WahmBoomAh

18 months ago? I`d test them again ,,, at least with an old PTP board the maintanence it much cleaner ..less mystery (so my tech says)

16. doublee

doublee Member

tested 3 weeks ago. Anyway the point being that in my experience only, the NOs have punked out very fast. I have 3 BF fenders and the only quiet reliable one is the one without NO$, it has JJ/ Tung Sol that sort of thing. There is even a GT or two in there. Its the least problematic.

17. WahmBoomAh

Got you ... for sure some more qualified gents should chime in here ,, but what you`re concluding goes against the law of averages here .All indications (if the NOS are indeed N) point to better performance .longevity and tone with the old boys ...odd ! good luck

have you tried gently tapping on the pre tubes with a screwdriver or something hard .. loud noises ? microphonic tubes ?
    have you rebiased when you changed tubes ?

18. DavidH

DavidH Member

I agree,reissuing many of the designs the old fashioned way isn't really feasable,but i kind of hoped they might do it with the PR,it's one of the more popular circuits and maybe there'd be a market for it at a higher price point.The point i was making about them being in business to make money wasn't a dig at them at all(although i came across like that),simply that that's what they're in business to do in reality and they're sure to make more money with the more mass produced amp at a lower price point.In either case i hope they make a good job of it.Should be a popular amp if they get it right.

19. soulohio

soulohio Member

yup...i hope they do a custom shop job. even at 1K+ it might bring some of these BF Princeton Reverb (asking) prices down to earth.

20. re-animator

that would be cool.... i think the PTP custom shop vibroverbs were absolutely excellent. The sweetest i've heard any new production fender-style amp.