Fender Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rastaman, Dec 13, 2005.

1. rastaman

rastaman Member

So what's the general consensus of these amps? I have an opportunity to pick one up [ I started playing in a band that I don't need a halfstack for rehearsal so I'm looking for a low wattage combo ] and I've been eying this amp. I'm a Marshall man at heart but this little joker sounded damn good to me.

2. Bruce

Bruce Member

Great amps, The best Fender ever made. I've had my Blackface Princeton Reverb for over 30 years and I'd never sell it.

3. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

A great amp no doubt. Do a search-there was a recent thread that discussed this amp in detail. Grab a mid 70's silverface ( same circuit as the blackface ) and put a 12" speaker in it. While you're at it try the mod to the phase inverter section and you will have one killer little amp. Without the 12" speaker it's still a great amp but not enough headroom/volume to use with most bands live.

Not sure I can go along with "the best Fender ever made". I might vote for it's bigger brothers from the blackface era: Deluxe reverb, Vibrolux reverb, Pro reverb, or Super reverb. I have them all and use the Deluxe reverb for 90% of my gigs so I guess that one would have to get my vote. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting old and don't want to carry around anything heavier than a D.R.!

:p

Dan

4. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I recently played an early 70's Princeton reverb and it made me sad cause I really wanted to like it. It was very thin and wimpy sounding with no punch at all.

I played a vibro-champ next to it and it sounded better - then I made the mistake of plugging into a 1955 tweed deluxe… Oh man that was one of the best sounding amps ever.

Back to the Princeton, I have heard that with a few tweaks you can make the Princeton way better so it can be a good platform for a great sounding amp.

5. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

if you played a PR that was thin it was either needing work or had a bad speaker. PR's w/ a 12 or even better 2x12 sound huge and will bury one of them little student champs.....
    I agree with the above statement of "one of fenders finest"

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I have an early 70s SF that I sent to Dave Allen for black facing and for the stokes and Paul C mods...I love this amp. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. ever. He also put a raw control in for free.

I have a 10: weber in there and it whomps.

edit: amp on 10, strat volume on 7 *swoon*

great guy that Dave Allen.

7. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Almost every vintage Fender I audition in stores sounds like crap. It's a wonder these amps have kept their collectable value really. They need to be SERVICED!!!!!!!!! I just can't get over how much dealers and others are not willing to change out caps and speaker for fear of diminishing it's resale value. I wish everyone would get over it. Having the original caps should make a vintage blackface Fender be worth LESS not MORE.

You are exactly right the P.R. is a good platform for a great amp. Caps, speaker, Paul C mod, possibly the Stokes mod, and you're there. Perfect amp for a Celestion Alnico Blue. Mine sounds delicious.

PS the "raw control" is a pretty simple and reversible mod too. It allows you to control the amount of negative feedback. A pretty cool mod. Mine's wired into the extension speaker jack with a pot so it is variable.

Dan

8. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Hey Chris, Can you tell me more about the stokes and Paul C mods?

Thanks, Ray

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

:D
    something done to the phase inverter...it made the amp sound better :D that is about the length of technical expertise!

here's something from the weber amp board, a link actually.

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/mt24/Amp/mm/paul_c_mod.html

here's what DA says....

Princeton Reverb® Tune Up! $99 - Includes the popular Paul C fixed bias and Stokes higher supply voltage mods to the phase inverter for more clean headroom and a smoother overdriven tone resulting in an increase in power from 12W to 18W.

lunch is over...no time for searching...i'm sure somewhere on TGP is familiar w/the mod!

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Dan's right. If your PR didn't sound good, odds are that there was something wrong. If you want a bigger sound out of a PR, everything mentioned is a good idea, especially starting with a more efficient speaker like a Cel Blue (be aware that not all years of PR baffles are removable if you want a 12).

I've done the Stokes and PaulC mod on a few PR's with great results, but be aware that John Stokes no longer recommends his mod if you push your PR. He's seen some burned up PT's he is thinking is due to increased stress from his mod.

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

If you can get one for a decent price do it. They are a Fender classic. Email me if you don't like it, I'll buy it.
    Luke

12. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

to me the speaker was the only thing needed...........my 66 now has a 12 baffle and a red fang. I've heard lots of folks who like the paulc and stokes mod and some that say it stiffened up the amp. My take is it sounds unreal now, why feck with it....

btw- 74 was when they started glueing in the baffles, so look for 73 or earlier.................DO NOT break out the saw.....

btw #2- Stokes now (last I read on this subject) thinks something else ruined those OT's not his mod...........tho personally wouldn't put anything involved with that prick in my toilet, yet alone a prized amp YMMV

13. Shea

Shea Member

I once ruined the OT in a Princeton Reverb, but it didn't have the "Stokes Mod."

I had disconnected the speaker and ran a cable from the speaker out to the input on a Twin Reverb.

I was only 16 and didn't know squat about amps, except that I liked my PR a lot better than the Sears solid-state amp I started out with.

Shea

14. fullerplast

The Stokes mod would stress the PT, not the OT, FWIW.

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

I believe the Raw control is a variable bypass for the Tone stack, not a variable resistor in the nfb line. Some people call that a Soul control.

Besides t3h mods listed a couple others are: increase the value of the nfb resitor & increase the value of the reverb mix resistor. One more mod that I've done that really completes the amp, replace the stock OT with a Deluxe OT from Allen Amplification. It's little tight to fit w/ a 12' speaker, but it can be done. If you're having a new baffle made for a 12" speaker have the hole offset to the bottom corner to give clearance for the OT. I had Weber VST custom build a 12F150 into a Celestion style four hole basket for me, so the OT sits in one of the cutouts in the basket. Works great. This amp kicks now, will make a Deluxe Reverb owner cry.

16. fullerplast

True...the best thing is the extra hole (at least for a stock Fender DR OT) is already in the chassis! No clearance problem with my Celestion Blue either.:)

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm trying to imagine how moving the PI power supply connection,up the power supply resistor chain can possibly harm the PT. The same current demands are present on the PT no matter which way you connect the PI.

Care to elaborate?

18. rastaman

rastaman Member

Wow! Thanks for the replies! Like I said, it sounded killer. It didn't have a stock speaker but I didn't look that close to the brand [I wasn't interested until I heard it, a guy tweaked some of my guitars and said to try 'em in the FPR].:cool:

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool Amps I love mine. I'm gonna give Mine to my Son for Christmas. I hate parting with it but its going to a Nice Fellow.

20. rastaman

rastaman Member

:AOK Thanks Dad old pal!!!