Fender Pro Jr. question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Perry D., May 9, 2005.

1. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

I'm needing a small inexpensive tube amp and I was wondering if there is any difference between the older Pro Juniors and the newer ones? I've heard that the older ones used to come from the 'custom shop' factory and now they are part of the 'hot rod' series. Are there any major differences in components or build quality? Are there any good aftermarket mods for these amps besides changing out the tubes and speaker?

Thanks,
    Perry D.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

I don't think they were ever "Custom Shop" models excepth for the "Woody" version which is a stock Pro Jnr. in a fancy hardwood case.

They did change the country of manufacture from US to Mexico and I hear some complaints about the newer ones being noisy (hum)

They are great sounding amps for the money, especially if you use a bigger cab (I run mine through a 2x12)

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

The Tweed ones had the same blue Alnico speaker that the Bassman RI uses. The newer ones do not.

Loudboy

4. Perry D.

Any mods available for the Pro Junior?... and, if it is present, can the hum be minimized?

Thanks for the replies!

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Most guys use them stock and with good reason, they sound good!

I cured my hum problem by experimenting with tubes.
    In my case I had some old Mullard EL84's lying around that reduced the hum so that it's a non issue.

6. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

greatest new amp ever made , I use it on most of my sessions

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

My friend dropped a Weber Blue Pup and some good tubes, and it sounds really good. It also takes pedals really well!

8. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I think this qualifies as a mod:

[​IMG]

Bad news is that when I sent in the chassis there was none of that well-known pro jr buzz. Now that it's back, there's buzz. Oh well, you don't hear it once you turn the amp up past 2...

And I agree - it does take pedals extremely well. I have a Tim in front of it and it sounds great.

9. davebc

davebc Member

I've heard raves from some great local players who have using them for smaller gigs.
    I could be wrong,but I think that Doyle Bramhall was using one in E.C's "Me and Mr Johnson" dvd studio sessions,sounded really amazing.

10. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I used to have one of these. I thought it sounded very small, boxy and 1 dimensional. Over all I was very disappointed.:(

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

The internal speaker can sound boxy.
    Though a bigger cab it rocks, ask Nels Cline.

12. Perry D.

WOW! Your head cab is too cool. Where did you have it done?

13. grego7

Doug Stalters at Vintone. He modified the chassis so that the tube sockets are on top with the face plate pointing out like that. Here's his web-page:

Vintone

14. Perry D.

15. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

That was my experience in spades when I tried one out at a music store. I really wanted to like it too. Maybe it was the guitar they gave me to try it with or a bad tube, or different strokes for different folks...who knows.

16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

grego7

mind giving us a ballpark estimate of how much that recabbed head cost you?

17. grego7

I'm a little embarassed to say, because it cost more than the amp itself - but what the hell - this is the forum where folks will spend up to the price of a civic for an amp or guitar.

the chassis remod cost $100 (Doug was the only one who would do this - other folks would make a cab for it, but the way the tubes are configured, the head would be essentially as big as the combo).

The recab price varies. I don't have the original email Doug sent me with the options, but you can get oak, walnut, cherry, I think pine. I went with the walnut and it cost ~ $290. I also had him add that new 3-way toggle that has a standby in the middle position for another $20. All in all a great experience and Doug was top-notch, he emailed me pictures of the work in progress.

I just don't recall it buzzing before I sent it (that's the reason why I sent my new Mexico one and not the '94 tweed one that I had), I'll have to swap out the tubes and see if I can get that under better control.

18. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

that's not too bad. it's about what I would expect. hey if the pro jr is the amp that does it for you, I see no big deal in dropping $400 in mods. people here drop money into guitars in the form of pickups and tuners and new bridges all the time.... thanks.

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

I did try to use one once at an open blues jam. I was out of town visiting a freind and I used his Strat and the amp was his also. He was using a Deluxe Reverb. The Pro Jr. was cranked and I was completely buried in the mix.

It sounded nice, but was way out of it's league in that setting.