Fender Pro Jr. Speaker Suggestions?

Professor

I picked up a nice, cheap USA made tweed Fender Pro Jr. and I've been using it as my "living room" amp rather than my Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue.

I like it because it breaks up at pretty low volumes but I'm not getting a whole range of tone/sounds from the 10" stock Jensen speaker.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Should I get a vintage Jensen? Something new?

strings

There are a few threads with lots of good info on this. Do a search in this (the Amp area) and you will find them. Lots of Jr. fans here !

AstroStrat89

a lot of folks think that the 10" Jensen that came in those original US made ones are pretty darn nice and you won't do much better than that.

Your not going to get a wide range of anything on a pro jr, it is what is, it's designed to break up early, and while you can get more clean head room with a more efficient speaker it will be loud on 3.

If you just look at my past posts you will find quite a few Pro Jr. speaker threads to read. But if you don't care for it as is, you may have the wrong amp for your taste.

schwa

I have also heard that the Jensons are desirable in PJ's. I have an early tweed, but my amp has a ceramic speaker in it. I want to upgrade, but don't know which way to go.

Fender still sells a blue frame AlNiCo, but I hear it won't fit with the bell cover attached.

Does your Jenson have a cover on it?

Crikey

Get a speaker cable and one of those 1/4" female-to-female couplers at Radio Shack or a pro-audio place, and you can plug the Pro Junior into any speaker cabinet you have available, such as the one your Deluxe Reverb lives in. Speakers are such a huge variable in tone -- every TGPer should have these simple tools!

Crikey

Griz

I picked up a nice, cheap USA made tweed Fender Pro Jr. and I've been using it as my "living room" amp rather than my Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue.

I like it because it breaks up at pretty low volumes but I'm not getting a whole range of tone/sounds from the 10" stock Jensen speaker.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Should I get a vintage Jensen? Something new?
If you've got a stock tweed PJ it has an Eminence blue frame alnico 10" speaker, not a Jensen. If the speaker says Jensen on it then a previous owner has made that substitution. The amp really wasn't designed to get a wide range of sounds on its own, but it does take pedals reasonably well if flexibility is what you're going for.

Don't forget that the PJ's cabinet tends to give the amp a bit of a boxy sound. If you want to really hear the full voice of the amp, plug it into a larger cab. My '92-93 tweed PJ sounds surprisingly big through a 4x10.

N-joy.

:AOK

johnh

The stock speaker blew in my old tweed Pro Jnr. Initially I swapped it for the Mesa speaker from a Subway Blues. Totally excellent and great improvement.

However, I eventually got the Subway Blues fixed and put the speaker back in to sell it on. So I ended up getting an Emi Copperhead. Great sounding speaker, but I'm just in the midst of deciding after a year that it's too bright and American sounding for me. I'd have thought that if you like Jensen, you should love the Copperhead.

I've been reading about Emi Ramrods and Rajin Cajuns. I find my Pro Jnr quite bright, so I'm thinking of the Ramrod to thicken things up.

Telecaster62

Ramrod or Ragin' Cajun are very good choices. I have the Celestion Vintage 10 in mine and it's perfect for me. I'm gigging it tonight!