Fender Pro-Reverb Silverface

pureoldsound

Is it normal for a non-master vol. Pro-Reverb silverface to have a 5V4GB tube rectifier? I thought they had GZ34 tube rectifier?

pureoldsound

Any comments in changing the stock Oxford 12"speakers for some Jensens C12N? Any significant improvement?

How about restoring the tolex on these amps. Does that decrease the resale value at all?

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by pureoldsound
Any comments in changing the stock Oxford 12"speakers for some Jensens C12N? Any significant improvement?

How about restoring the tolex on these amps. Does that decrease the resale value at all?
If you're talking about the RI Jensen C12Ns, they aren't bad speakers for the money, but if you don't mind paying a little more the Weber version (I can't remember the number off the top of my head) is much better IMO.

pureoldsound

Originally posted by fjs1962
If you're talking about the RI Jensen C12Ns, they aren't bad speakers for the money, but if you don't mind paying a little more the Weber version (I can't remember the number off the top of my head) is much better IMO.
How about some vintage Jensens?

TheAmpNerd

You
have to make a decision.

Are you going to play it

or

Do you want a collector piece.

gkelm

Silver Supporting Member

The speakers that came in my BF'd SF Pro were some nasty old OEM Eminence, so I found a pair of the C12N RIs used...they sound nice to me. I've considered checking out a better pair, but these satisfy for my purposes.

I think retolexing could affect resale, but not necessarily...I suppose it may depend on how bad it is to begin with. Some guys might not even look at it if it's ratty...I'd rather have one retolexed and pretty than ratty and orig.
Greg

pureoldsound

Originally posted by TheAmpNerd
You
have to make a decision.

Are you going to play it

or

Do you want a collector piece.
Well I am mot much of a collector, so I guess a plyer is a better way to put it. However, since these amp are going up in value I want to keep it in good shape...

pureoldsound

Originally posted by gkelm
The speakers that came in my BF'd SF Pro were some nasty old OEM Eminence, so I found a pair of the C12N RIs used...they sound nice to me. I've considered checking out a better pair, but these satisfy for my purposes.

I think retolexing could affect resale, but not necessarily...I suppose it may depend on how bad it is to begin with. Some guys might not even look at it if it's ratty...I'd rather have one retolexed and pretty than ratty and orig.
Greg
Well I think it has the usual used waer. There are some stains on the top, but not terrible maybe a good clean might help. The front cloth has turned yellowish....And it smells old :D
I thought about gettin a repro cab and leave this one alone..But I don't know if I care too much about it......I like how it sounds....It has some old tubes but need to be change. I am getting some other NOS NIB tubes and maybe change the speakers.....?

Robboman

What are they worth now? Not that I'm lookin to sell, mine is a keeper!

Here's a pic of mine, I bought it already re-tolexed in blond w\oxblood gc around '95 for $300. Since then it's been recapped and BFed, had effects loop mod done, then UN-done back to original. Lot's of gig memories with this one, now I use my 5F6-A tweed clone mainly.

pureoldsound

It depends on the conditons but I've seen people asking up to $1200 for it. I guess they can still be had for $700....Just a guess.

$300 in '95 that was a cool deal.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't retolex unless it's not protecting the wood-it's a major hit to value. Retubing, changing any suspect caps, cleaning pots and contacts and tube sockets-that's the main work that needs doing. Speakerwise you can find proponents of many different types of speakers in that amp. The Weber Ceramics would be the closest to original...

pureoldsound

The amp has the original Oxford speakers....but I think old Jensens might be better...The Webers seem to be the best for the amp though....

Trending Topics