1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Pro Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steven.rogers, Feb 12, 2008.

1. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I've been thinking about downsizing from my Super Reverb and based on features and past experience I think I'm going to try to get a Pro Reverb. But I'm not sure whether to go vintage or try to find one of the more recent Pro Tube series ones.

I'm leaning towards the pro tube series because it has the 1/4 power switch, giving the option of 12.5 or 50 watts. This is a huge plus for me - I'd probably normally play on 12.5 watts but it would be awesome to have the extra power for when I play out more. It also has a gain channel (which I'd probably never use because I play jazz) but it would also be neat just to have it there if I ever felt like rocking out. I have played one of these and I really liked the sound.

But I've never played one of the earlier models before. From the little research I've done I've figured out that they can be either 40 or 70 watts and have 2x12 speakers instead of 1x12 like the pro tube one. How much better do these sound than the pro tubes? Would it be worth getting rid of my Super Reverb for one?

I've heard that these amps are like mini-Twins which seem to be exactly what I'm looking for - a good amount of headroom with great cleans. I do understand that it wouldn't be that much of a downsize because it's similar in weight and power to the Super, but I feel like a 1/4 power switch would really benefit me.

Then there's also the simple solution of trading the Super for a Deluxe reverb which I've also been considering.

Sorry for the long thread and thanks to anyone who takes the time to read through it.

2. marty pollard

marty pollard Member

No opinion but there's one on Denver Craigslist today for $675.

3. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

this is funny as I have a 66super that I am contemplating the exact same thing. If I do trade it off it will only be for another vintage piece. But I played through a nice 66 pro reverb the other night and it sounded wonderfull. So I considering a trade. But as much as I like a deluxe, I don't think that I would trade my super for one.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

You know - no matter how cumbersome the Super Reverb is - I WILL NEVER let it go. I love it way too much!!! I wouldn't trade it for a vintage Blackface Pro or Deluxe. I'd rather get a BF Deluxe Reverb and a Princeton Reverb and then I'll have all the BF tones I'll need no matter what the gig size... A lot of money - yes - but I personally think it'd be worth it. Hell - throw a BF Champ in there for the house while you're at it!! :AOK

Not to mention - I'd gotten rid of WAY TOO much good gear over the years - I vowed never to sell anything again - especially boutique and vintage gear!!!

5. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Super to Pro is more like a shift...same 40W power...2/12 instead of 4/10. If you want to downsize, get a Deluxe.

6. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Pro reverb's kill. I have a 65 Pro, a 66 Deluxe, and a 64 Super, and I love them all. But they are somehat unique. If I had to rank it would be the #1 Pro Reverb, #2 Deluxe Reverb and #3 Super Reverb (and that's saying something because my Deluxe is devastating!). There's just something about those 2 12's and the 40 watts, great moderate clean headroom, but when it gives up the grind it's so righteous. Big and loud but not obnoxious like a Twin can get. Warm and chimey.
    You can hear the Pro on a tune I just put up on my myspace (it's the only tune up right now). It's the main rhythm guitar all the way through, 77 Tele straight in. Same Tele kicks in through a Top Hat King Royale on the choruses and power sections.
    www.myspace.com/kennymarkford
    Peace...

7. johnzias

johnzias Member

I think the Super has a bigger output transformer than the Pro. I love the Pro.

8. myles111

myles111 Member

[​IMG]

The Pro Tube series Pro Reverb is a completely different amp than the 60s black face version. The black face is an amazing amp, one of the best Fender amps ever.

The Pro Tube series has a great clean tone but personally I feel the distortion side of the amp is not very usable for my preferences at all.

As far as the power reducing switch, the change is quite minor. Remember, cutting the power in half only results in a -3dB change so don't think that even at the 1/4 power switch setting it will be quiet ... it is no bedroom amp.

The Pro series is a deep amp and not really much easier to transport that what you already own.

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I have two 1976 Pro's and I've owned too many Supers. Since you already have the Super, you really aren't saving a whole lot of down-size going to the Pro. I use a Vox AC-15 for the small venues and run the AC-15 and the Pro together for outdoor stuff. I 'd keep the Super since its bought and paid for.

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Or have a 2x12 combo cab built and keep the original cab and speakers tucked away safe somewhere. If you like it then get a pro reverb if you dont look into other models.

11. jay42

jay42 Member

This is right, if it's just about weight or running 12's instead of 10's. A very different approach might have you looking at an Allen Encore, Accomplice, or Brown Sugar head and a 2-12" cabinet. These amps give you high/low power options by changing output tubes.

12. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Be careful here though, as the Super has a 2 ohm output, szo you will need a pair of 4 ohm 12's to wire it correctly. Ted Weber can probably hook you up.

My vote? Keep the Super and buy an early silver face pro for about 1/2 the money of a blackface and get it black faced fort $150. It will kill. As noted in earlier posts, teh Pro Tube series has little or nothing to do with the originals.

Peace...

13. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    If you are on a budget, Pro Tube series amps are cool...but they are probably not going to give you the same stuff as a Vintage DF Pro Reverb. ... different amps.

I have a minty '66 Pro Reverb and it sounds like money. I can't really imagine another vintage Fender amp sounding much better. The Super with its 4-10s is a great sounding amp but not as portable for me. No one can dispute how special a little vintage 1x12 BF Deluxe Reverb can sound either, but I am partial to the Pro Reverb.

A nicely maintained vintage (64-67) BF Fender amp is really hard to beat IMHO.

Good luck with your quest.
    Cheers
    -Dave

14. KCWM

KCWM Member

I like that song.