Fender Prosonic and the magic of the 5751 tube...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderBigot, Jul 14, 2019.

1. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I got my Prosonic back from the tech yesterday and the clean channel sounds great. I was noticing too much gain on the lower knob settings for the OD channel and it was also a bit bright compared to the clean channel, so I popped a JAN/Phillips 5751 in V2 this morning and there it was... super sweet sounding amp OD. :aok

There really is something to be said about what the 5751 does to taming or keeping an amp's OD channel in check. I almost left this tube in a Vox amp I sold a few years ago and I'm so glad I had this sitting in a drawer waiting for the perfect application! :D

This amp is my minimalist pedalboard amp for sure. I just have to pop a delay in the loop and put a wah, tuner and the amp's footswitch on the floor, paired volume knob management it's a fantastic amp. I can show up to sit-in or jam and be set up in 3 or so minutes! ;)

Rossi163, ROKY, Tstyle and 5 others like this.
  2. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Great to hear you found the tone you like in this amp. My buddy had a Prosonic for years and he had an aggressive, mid forward sound out of it - clean or OD. However, when he stepped forward for the rock solo this amp cut through like no other. Maybe the 5751 would have tamed the beast for him. :) I think he eventually sold the amp.

FenderBigot likes this.
  3. FenderBigot

Yeah... you can get a really great classic rock or even higher gain hard rock sound from this amp without any pedals. I'm going to try moving the 5751 to V3 too to see what that does, but I now know that V2 (first gain stage for the OD channel) was were some of that extra gain was sitting.

4. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

On the cutting through the mix - my friend didn't really play that distorted on leads - it was more the crispiness of the notes and the amps vocal quality - jus t really big sound and tone. A ripper indeed. Awesome for clean funk because of that too. Let us know how the V3 sounds if you try it.

FenderBigot likes this.
  5. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I'm with you. For me the gain structure of the Prosonic is way too much, so I had an NOS 5751 (that I had used in The TB channel of a Vox AC15H1TV, funny enough) and put that into V2 of the Prosonic. And like you, I've been wanting to try it it in V3 as well, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I live on the clean channel 90% of the time, which is more like my Silverface Bassman than say, a Super Reverb. The Prosonic cleans (like the Bassman) are a little more beefy but still articulate and shimmery, just not as much as a Blackface combo. The Prosonic clean channel takes pedals incredibly well.

Rossi163 and FenderBigot like this.
  6. FenderBigot

I agree completely! They have this bouncy "bubbly" thing going on... it's a really nice sound.

Gridlock likes this.
  7. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I can't remember which lower gain JJ tube I put in V2 now WTH ? I have been using the gain set on 3 or lower on both for awhile now. Certainly will go into high gain overly aggressive with a just a nudge. Had it since 95 and it is a cold dead fingers amp for me.

FenderBigot likes this.
  8. Viper 900

Viper 900 Member

The 5751 is a weapon. It’s always been my secret to massive clarity with big drop tuned chords

eigentone and FenderBigot like this.
  9. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

I had a strange encounter with the Prosonic 2x10 combo.
    I would set it up and get a great sound and be really in to it and then it "went off" in that the sound changed. It would happen after about 30 mins or so of playing. Sometimes I would break for a cuppa, leaving the amp on in my studio, and when I came back it sounded different.

Hard to describe but it somehow drifted from the sound I had set up. I loved it when it was on but eventually sold it.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Interesting idea, I may try a JAN/Phillips 5751 in my Prosonic Combo.

It was my main gigging amp for a while playing Jazz/Funk/R&b gigs but I felt like it was a little light on the bottom end. I put a pair of EVM 10Ls in it and the tone was glorious! Huge and tight bottom end at volume, almost like a compact cab Twin Reverb.

The problem was that it was so heavy I didn't want to transport it and one day we had a gig that was up two large flights of stairs. I asked our drummer, who was an athlete, if he'd carry it upstairs for me. He picked it up about two inches off the floor, put it back down, and looked at me with pure hatred. That was the last time I gigged with it.

Still, it's a wonderful amp and if I knew for a fact that there were no stairs I'd throw it on my Magna Cart and use it without hesitation if I didn't have other options now.

Still the JAN/Phillips 5751 sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks for the tip FB!

FenderBigot likes this.
  11. FenderBigot

Just tried it in V3 and the gain difference wasn't that big, but the OD channel got brighter almost to being a bit harsh. I put it back in V2. :aok

BlueRiff likes this.
  12. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

zinky strikes again!

FenderBigot likes this.
  13. fitz

fitz Member

I had a bunch of Philips 5751's years ago and they were great tubes. Perfect for taming an amp just a bit if you like a little less preamp gain, I use one in my little GA5 RI and it smoothed the amp out perfectly

FenderBigot likes this.
  14. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I had a 2x10 combo years ago. Gorgeous to look at but man it was brittle,
    harsh,and cold. Didn't keep it very long. I wanted it to be the one.

15. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

And mine has gone on the fritz , cracking and popping noises when I play. Did all of the standard tests on all of the tubes by changing them and tapping. Might be the work an idiot did on it some time ago or some random cap no clue.

16. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yep! Can't say enough good things about a great 5751! Just a great tube and it really does well in some amps that are very high gain and on the brighter side. It can really bring it back into a sweeter range. I've played a Prosonic a few times and loved it stock with all 12AX7s. Would love to hear it with a 5751.

FenderBigot and BoogieManSC like this.
  17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

FWIW - he's a great amp designer, IMO! Prosonic, Tone Master, Vibro King, Dual Professional, and his own line. All amazing stuff. I'm a biased Tone Master owner.

Rossi163 and FenderBigot like this.
  18. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

the blue velvet is an under appreciated fire breathing monster that proves it’s value in a live mix. like most zinkys!

sickboy79 likes this.
  19. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Member

Totally agree on the 5751 tube. I just threw them in V1 & v2 of a few amps:
    - Splawn 50w Supersport EL34
    - Mezzabarba Mzero Overdrive
    - Marshall DSL 100HR
    ...with great effect in all. All the amps have more gain than I'll ever practically use. The 5751's added a great clarity and tamed the gain and added a clearer gain tone, to my ears. Also made the clean channels of each a bit sweeter.

Tung-Sols 5751 in the Splawn & Marshall
    TAD 5751 in the Mezza

FenderBigot likes this.
  20. Tstyle

Tstyle Member

Prosonic is a sleeper amp for sure! Here's a vid of mine. Great blues tone.