Fender Prosonic vs Super-Sonic demos.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ascension, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

Since I have both amps I put this together. I used my Washburn USA WM-4 guitar and Fender 2/12 cab loaded with GT12 75 watt Celestians.
    On the first track I used the Prosonic on the left side the Super-Sonic on the right.
    http://www.box.net/shared/wvnzbnooo8
    Same backing track but with a solo added using the Super-Sonic
    http://www.box.net/shared/ygtksw8aow
    Again same backing track but this time using the Prosonic for the solo
    http://www.box.net/shared/2d6swy80ws
    I tried to set the tones as close as I could on the amps to show the tonal and response differences in the amps themselfs.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I think this is Prosonic biased! lol! I would try to make each amp sound its best not closest too each other. You have the Supersonic way to middy without enough treble to compare it to the Prosonic tone you dialed in that jumps out at you. I can definately get my SS much more edgy sounding than that. Youve got it dialed in almost mellow,nice but mellow and it doesnt ork for the backing track. Foul play I say! :) Bob

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

It's the way I have the SS tubed up. I had a bunch of JJ ECC83's that I used in the SS I need to order something else for it as it's indeed pretty dark. That said the SS is running the controlls here - 1st gain 7 2nd gain 6 mids at 2.5 treble at 2 and bottom at 6.
    The Prosonic - 1st gain 6 2nd gain 6.5 bass 7 mid 1.5 treble 6.5.
    Both amps are running with the masters at 2 and the Prosonic was in the class A 30 watt tube rec mode.

5. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Not only do they sound great........I think they look great too!

[​IMG]

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

this sounded better than all the supersonics i've heard:

well off to work, i am late now..

[​IMG]

7. telecopter

telecopter Member

I sold my Prosonic and kept the Supersonic...I prefer both the clean and o.d of the SS.

8. macmax77

well, i don't know how others sound, but mine was as well biased as could be and sounded better with my guitar and rig than all the ss i have played or heard

9. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

the SuperSonics are not biased correctly from the factory. that was the problem.

10. 67super

67super Supporting Member

+1

This thread is all about the "heavy" sound of these amps. No disrespect but I don't do "heavy", I do blues and rock and the SS is so much more versatile.

The SS is way more versatile and does the Fender cleans beautifully. I get more compliments about tone from other guitar players giging with the SS then any other amp I have.

11. telecopter

telecopter Member

Good point...the early ones weren't, but mine was a later one that was. I have played some at GC that sounded crappy...I had forgotten about that.

12. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I personally preferred the tone of the Prosonic. Thats the tone that I really love! Both sounded nice though.

13. 67super

And isn't that all that matters anyway [​IMG] If tone wasn't subjective we would all have the same amp, and that would suck.

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Well in the clip posted I thought the prosonic smoked the supersonic as far as heavy tones go!

15. 67super

I have yet to buy an amp based on MP3 clips on the internet. They can be a useful tool in comparison but until you play an amp with your guitars and adjust it the way you want you can't really tell anything.

16. Ascension

Ascension Member

That's the reason I own both as they are quite different amps. I agree the SS does the edgie stuff better and has more versitility. I disagree with you on the cleans. Agreed the SS has more headroom but I LOVE the warm organic Prosonic cleans and perfer it to the SS on the clean side.
    Love the SS and use it playing out a lot but if I could only keep one of the two for me hands down it would be the Prosonic.
    The Prosonic can get close to the SS on the edgier stuff but the Prosonic flat NUKES the SS on both the heavier metal stuff and for warm sweet and jazzy cleans!

17. macmax77

My thoughts too

18. 67super

Thats cool. The thing with my SS is I was close to selling it a while back until I tried a speaker swap. I had heard a SS with an Eminence RWB before I bought mine and really liked it. I gave the stock V30 a chance but didn't like it. I did some tube swapping and put an RWB in it and that made it, to my ears, a great amp. It was the sound I had heard and wanted. My thing is old school fender, I play an old Super Reverb, Bassman and Deluxe Reverb and couldn't get the sound I wanted out of the SS. I wanted a new amp that could do old school fender and now it does. On top of that you get a very usable OD sound.

I can't tell you what a difference speakers make. Think about it, when I think Celestion I think British not fender. Like I said earlier, if we all liked the same tone it would pretty much suck. I've been playing BF fenders forever so it infuences me big time. The prosonic is a nice amp and you wonder why Fender discontinues good amps.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Very True, but I'm just going by how it sounds to me in the posted clips but yeah hearing the amps live can be a whole different story!

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member