Fender question about “relic” body stamp with pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 12guitdown, Apr 8, 2019.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

so I went to shim the neck on my fender Jazz bass and the word relic is stamped inside the neck pocket as well as under the neck plate. What does this mean? Is it custom shop?

I think I’ll take it apart tonight and examine the rest of the body.

Also, I got this directly from fender as a “one off” from the Fender Experience tour that happened five years ago. I was very fortunate to have done this though it took almost two years to receive the bass. There’s a bit more to the story if anyone’s interested. Appreciate any info.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Also has a relic stamp under the pick guard too.

3. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

Fender certainly had a lot to say on your neck pocket.

Jayyj likes this.
  4. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

One offs would be something only the custom shop is equipped to do. Even certain colors are only available through the custom shop.

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Ok let me rephrase the question. Forget everything above.

If a Fender body has the debossed “RELIC” stamp, such as the one above, does that only come from the Custom Shop? Or can a relic stamped body also come from an American Series line or even MIM?

That’s all.

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

But the thing you and most others here may not know is that the “experience tour”, which was an actual short lived, private tour in Corona, Ca. through only two local music stores that happened a few times a year but no longer exists, allowed you to select your own body and neck from a supply room full of some production and many, I mean some really wild one off type paint jobs, or small paint chips, new colors proposed for production, employees artistic one offs or special runs and things like that. Then you select electronics, color of pickguard, right down to the tweed or brown tolex case if you wanted, and the order was written up etc. Basically build it the way you wanted it. However, say if you found a neck you liked (any given model) but not the body color you were hoping for, they would go ahead and have one painted for you. Well that was the case with my jazz bass. I looked for a daphne blue body but didn’t find one and they said, “We can have one painted for you if you like.” I said sure.

Reflecting back- I think the original idea of the tour was to select an available body and neck from the supply room only, they’d put them in a bag, then write up a ticket with your name, order number and the rest of the parts listed and staple it to the bag. Then you were done and the waiting began. Lol
    You’d approximately wait 2 months if your body and neck were already together in the order then pick it up from your local dealer when it arrived. Well, that’s what we were told anyway.

I only got my daph blue special ordered only because during the factory tour I pulled aside and asked my rep who, went and spoke with the head honcho then came over to me and the three of us pow-wow’d about it away from the rest of the group. So this was something they would do but it certainly wasn’t announced nor advertised.

But here was the golden rule: You couldn’t get to order anything from the custom shop period.
    Am. Standard, Deluxe whatever you wanted but no CS pick ups, cases, logos, artist models and so on.

From what I understand, the tour I did was the last one before they shut it down for good because they were backlogged with previous orders like mine wanting that “certain color, compound radius neck etc”. That’s why I waited so long for the bass. On a side note I also had a strat built but with body and neck in hand that day and only waited 7 weeks to be completed. Also there was four in my group and the other guys waited 2-5 months to get theirs built with no special orders.

Back to yesterday: So when I pulled the neck and found the relic stamp I’d wondered if this did indeed come from the CS. The reason being and I can only suspect that due to the back logged orders with only one/two guys building them in their spare time apart from their main job at fender, meanwhile, guys like myself were waiting up to 2 years to get their axes, they may have had the CS do my body and maybe a few others just to bring it to a close.

7. Awreetus-Awrightus

Awreetus-Awrightus Member

Those certainly look like the "RELIC" markings that you'd find in a Custom Shop model. My '59 Strat has the same markings in the neck pocket and in the tremolo cavity; I cannot recall if it is under the neck plate or not.

I also know that my USA reissues have never had those markings.

8. KissTone

KissTone Member

It’s a CS body.

I’ve bought and sold several CS instruments over the last 15 years or so, and all of the Time Machine series and other relics have had those identical stamps.

Sometimes there’s also a CS logo stamp in the body under the pickguard, but it can be faint enough that it’s almost ‘erased’ (filled) by the finish.

Standard MIA bodies don’t have the relic stamps, and MIM bodies have the extra ‘divot’ drilled out of the neck pocket, so you can rule out MIM.

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Ok thx. I can see a faint something or other under the guard and above the relic. Either the classic F or V. But like you said, it’s faint and filled.

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Ironically it isn’t a relic’d body.