1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender radius question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PLAYLOUD, Jun 22, 2005.

1. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I once had one of the Japanese foto flame top strats, but I can't remember if the radius on the fret board is 7.25 or 9.5.

I hope you can help with this info?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

My guess would actually be a 9.5" or 12".

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've owned a few of the Fender fotoflame Strats. I still have one and all the one's I've owned had the vintage 7.25" fretboard radius.

P.S.: Once the pot metal trem blocks were replaced with a steel version, the fotoflame guitars are tonally very respectable and the feel of the necks are among the best I've experienced in any price range :eek: .

4. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

VaughC,

I'm kicking myself for selling mine. And you're right the neck was great. How many do you have now?

Ben

5. Tone

Tone Member

Stupid question, but what results in flatter radius? A higher number like 12, or lower like 7.25"?

6. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

The higher the number the flatter the radius - thus 12" is flatter than 7 1/4 "...

-- Barr

7. VaughnC

I currently have one left in blueburst. I had it on ebay a few months ago and I was quite surprised that I got no bids. Excellent sounding & playing guitar though....but I guess most players just can't get by the artificial flame thing no matter how good they sound and play.

8. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I think I saw it. One with a floyd. I had the natural looking one, which are pretty rare. I see more of the cherry sunburst. If the price is right, I'd like to have another natural foto, but at the moment I think they're overpriced.

9. VaughnC

No, my blueburst one has the standard 6 point vintage style trem. I also had a couple of naturals and one cherry SB....but I have to say that they were tonally much more consistent than their American counterparts. Also, the naturals seemed to have chunkier necks.

10. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the info, Bplexico!