Fender Reissues For Jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leond, Aug 8, 2005.

1. leond

leond Member

I'm considering a either the Fender Vibrolux Reissue or '65 Twin Reissue for jazz playing.

While I'm sure the Twin would have enough clean headroom, it's a little too heavy than would be ideal. Does the Vibrolux Reissue have enough clean headroom to use in a small to medium sized club?

If it doesn't and I need to go with a Twin, would you recommend the 2x12 or 1x15?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. DannyDay

DannyDay Member

I'm not hip to the Vibrolux reissue, but I think the twin is too harsh. This is an amp they got wrong IMO. From what I've played, I like the 64 Vibroverb Custom, the Super Reverb RI, the Bassman LTD, and the 57 Twin RI. All different sounds, but all very good. Too bad, you'll have sample all of them. :D

I know, most people use them as "blues" amps, but they're awesome as jazz amps (besides, what could be better for jazz than a blues amp . :) They won't overdrive until they're way past "jazz" volumes. They're super freakin' loud.

Another contender is the Vibroking. It overdrives easier than the other amps mentioned (even though it's more powerful) but if you keep the volume lower, it sounds great. I tried it once with a Gibson and... instant Wes.

Good luck. You'll have loads of fun finding your amp. I say take your time and enjoy it.

DD.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

I play mainly jazz and I have a 65 Twin Reissue. It's heaven for clean guitar sounds. Really, I've never heard anything that comes close. I have the 2x12 version and never tried the 15", but I'm pretty happy with mine.

About the weight, don't underestimate this problem. Think twice. I had decided that I absolutely "needed" to have a Twin, it is the perfect sound for me, so I chose to put up with that. I did buy a case, though, and it has wheels, which can be quite handy.

It is also hard to fit in cars, by the way, especially if you put it in a case. And it's damm loud, also. At 2 it is a bit too loud for bedroom practice and doesn't sound as good as it does around 5 (a volume absolutely inadequate if you want to maintain peace with your neighbors).

It all sums up to this: it has a unique sound, very sweet, warm and full. But if you can find any other that pleases your ears as much, don't get the Twin.

4. rorschah

rorschah Member

What about old Pro Reverbs. Would those work?

5. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

What kind of instrumentation will you be using it with mostly?

For a duo/trio in a small to medium fairly quiet club the vibrolux is probably ok assuming you don't mind a bit of edge if you have to push it. It may also be possible to get a bigger OT in there, and/or more efficient speakers. Either of which would still leave the weight considerably shy of a twin.

If you want it dead clean no matter who you're playing with, you're probably better off with a twin. I think a 15 in a twin would be fun. Some pedal steel players use that or used to anyhow and their lows are lower and highs are higher than a six string.

Start with a vibrolux and see how it goes. The extra 40 lbs gets old pretty quick, especially if you're over 25.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

A Pro works great. Ask Tomo!

Twin was fine, but yeah it really is too loud and heavy.

I've also been hearing bad reliability issues about the new vibrolux from a friend that works for a Fender dealer.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Pro Reverb would work well, also the Hot Rod Deville has great clean tones.

8. rorschah

rorschah Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but...

For Vibroluxes and Pros, since I only have money for silverface, are there better years than others? Or at least, are there characteristic sounds for some years? I'd definitely be modding it as time went on.

My current favorite amp is a heavily modded 70's Fender Champ. My strat breaks it up around five. JESUS it's pretty. But way less headroom than I need for jazz. (Though, you know, I recently bought a set of Charlie Christian live broadcasts... for some of the sets, his amp is breaking up when he hits chords and it sounds GREAT...)

-thi

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

The earlier the better. Basically, try to stay away from the master volume versions. So up to early70's.

The change was not all that drastic, and it can be put to blackface specs pretty easily by a competant tech if need be.

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Pro Reverb is great for jazz.
    2 12, 2 6L6 , 40 watts. It's perfect size, volume
    and weight. I liked Black Face vintage Twin Reverb.

All amps are great choice. It's all depends how you play,
    because some people push too hard to play notes.

Pick a bit softer, more nuances, keep your swing.

I have BF 1964 Vibrolux Reverb amp.
    Yes, great tone for jazz. So clear and warm.
    New Vibrolux doesn't have same openess.

PS, Eminence Legend 121s are great for jazz.
    as well as the Red White & Blues

Tom

11. myles111

myles111 Member

The Vibrolux is one of the custom series amps and is more pricy than a Twin Reissue. The 15" speaker in the VLR is a great speaker for blue and rock but I feel the 2x12's in the TR are better for jazz (just my personal take on things).

You may want to look at their Pro Series "pro" with a 1x12. It is not any lighter than a twin reverb but it is a bit more compact. On the clean channel it has a lot of headroom and it does have casters. It is a pretty versatile amp.

12. MVrider

MVrider Member

If you're looking for the Fender BF "jazz" sound you should look into a Comins jazz amp. They are made by Alessandro. Much better build quality than the RI Fender stuff, IMO, and less than 40 pounds. About the size of a Vibrolux so they fit on the seat of a compact car. Jim Soloway had some very nice trad jazz clips on his website using the Comins. They may still be on his site.

If you need a little more breakup from time to time, the Alessandro Rottweiler is similar, but gives a bit more breakup if you want to get into the blues or rock modes and works almost as well for jazz.

I've owned the Fender RI's and the Alessandros and I'd take the Alessandros in a heartbeat over the modern Fender stuff. You can get used ones at very favorable prices, too.

13. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Slightly on a tangent here, but if you can deal with the weight of a Twin Reverb, I'd suggest trying to find one of the Fender Custom Shop Dual Professional amps. They don't make them anymore, but they show up now and then on the used market. This amp gets a huge, warm, complex tone, perfect for jazz. I think they sound waaaaay better than the TR RI, and better than any of the vintage TRs I've had the opportunity to play.

I have one, and it ended my search for that style of amp. I play about 50% jazz (with archtops and semi-hollows), 40% blues (with strats and les pauls), and 10% Hammond organ through it.

The three knob reverb is also incredible on it.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The HR series, SRRI, bassman LTD or 57 tweed twin are almost impossible to beat for jazz tones, especially with jazz guitars. I like my HR Deville every bit as much as my Brunos for straight jazz playing with a jazz box. I even prefer my HR deveille 4\10 to my old 66 Super reverb or 66 Pro reverb. (Which I still have.) The tones are just fantastic, and I find as good or better than any Boutique amp out there. :dude

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Think your mixing up the Vibroverb Custom (15") w/ the new Custom Vibrolux (2x10), no?

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=8140000000

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0215100000

16. leond

leond Member

Thanks for all the input. I got a chance to try a Vibrolux RI today. It's amazing how hours of research can be put into perspective by a few minutes of actually playing the gear in question.

The guitar I'm using is a Soloway Swan and I'm going for a fairly straight ahead jazz tone.

I really liked the tone of the Vibrolux RI but I felt it broke up too soon. It was plenty loud enough in the store alone but I'm not sure how it would hold up against a drummer and bassist.

So, is the weight of a Twin the price of tone? I'm off to find one to try.

Thanks again,
    LeonD

17. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

I've been using a 1-12 Hot Rod deluxe for straight ahead jazz with great results. It's easy to lug around as well. Future upgrades for me is a new speaker and a good pair of NOS 6L6gc tubes. It does sounds good stock though.
    The Hot Rod is voiced like a tweed amp so my next amp will be a Super reverb RI to cover my blackface needs. This amp is also great for jazz.
    I don't have much experience with the Vibrolux but 2 10" speakers might not give you the amount of low end that you'd like for jazz.
    I'd say that anything beyond 50 watts of tube power is too much for jazz since you won't get any juice from the power section unless you plan on playing very loud. This will make your archtop feedback like hell.
    I'd say Fender is the way to go with its classic tone and affordable pricetag.
    Here are some clips of me playing jazz. "Tenderly" and "There's no greater love" is a live recording where I'm using the Hot Rod deluxe:
    http://www.home.no/jazperience/mp3

18. Tag

I love your playing.

19. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

thanks, now I'm all :D

20. Tag

Lol!