Fender Relic neck question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Droptop, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I like a Fender relic tele I played recently where the finish on the neck has been worn quite a bit. I like the feel, but am worried about warping. Does anyone have an idea as to what Fender does to the necks to prevent warping from moisture?

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Fender usually uses quartersawn necks when they do that. I guess they feel it's less prone to warp. They might put a sealer on it too, but still feels raw. I love that feel. I have a relics strat from '04 and it's totally fine. I never even have to touch the truss rod.

3. supar6

supar6 Member

OOOOOHHHHHH - I hope someone answers this question with some experience. I too have been knocking around the idea of trying to relic the neck on my '62 American Vintage RI but am worried about screwing up the $1,200.00 guitar I just bought!!!

Good post!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Look up Scott Peterson's post about treating his neck with Micro Mesh.

Not a "relicing" technique per se but it does give a great feel.

5. JimH

JimH Member

queue the response about buying a replacement neck, micromeshing it and keeping your relic neck at home in 'pristine' reliced condition for resale.... Is it my imagination or is the guitar world totally nuts?

...For what it's worth I'd just get the relic if you like it.

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I can tell you what I do when I relic a neck but I start with a raw neck and finish accordingly. I do not do what fender does, my necks still have finish on them, though it is much lighter and applied by hand. I prefer to use quarter sawn maple also.