Fender Reverb Unit Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pompeii0, Apr 15, 2008.

1. pompeii0

pompeii0 Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Does the reverb unit (6G15) have any impact on tone (good or bad) when the reverb is switched off by the foot switch? Is it better to use the foot switch, or to put the unit in a bypass loop?

Thanks!
    [/FONT]

2. woof*

woof* Member

the Fender reverb unit affects the tone, but not in a bad way. it has a preamp and adds a little gain. i always run through one in front of my amps and dont notice any huge change with it switched off.

3. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

When I use mine it's always on, but I don't really notice a difference. I use just a taste of verb, but there's nothing wrong with running through a couple more tubes IMO!

BTW - replace the stock 6V6 with a NOS 6K6, I'm not one of those guys that hears miniscule differences in tubes, but in this case there is a difference. They're cheap too, I picked up two, so I should be set for life.

4. pompeii0

pompeii0 Member

Is the 6K6 just a drop in replacement or is rebiasing (or anything else) needed?

5. erksin

erksin Member

[​IMG]

The unit will change your tone a bit (for the better, IMO) - a little bit more thickness and a slight amount of sparkle. I love what it does for my Princeton - it makes it sound 10x bigger with just a mild amount of reverb. The more extreme settings are fun too - but more of an 'effect' than a natural reverbed sound.

I don't think you'll need to rebias, but I have an original 6G15 and no experience with the reissues other than demoing a few of them.