Fender Rhodes Warmth

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtatknox, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jtatknox

jtatknox Member

I love the sound of the fender rhodes. When you play one at the crack of overdriven, the rhodes can at once be both clear as a bell and warmly fuzzy. I think this is because the initial impact of the hammer causes a strong, clear fundamental, but the vibration and resonance of the tine during the duration of the note cause fuzzier harmonics that sound gorgeous. It's like if you had the most touch sensitive fuzz ever that also had amazing note clarity.

How can I get this from my guitar? I'm playing a 335 style guitar into a fender deluxe reverb RI.

Has anyone ever tried to emulate this in a pedal? I swear there is nothing like it. It just brings me to tears.

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

I would use a little bit of hall reverb (spring wont do anything like what you need) and the neck pickup of your guitar with the tone rolled back a bit. A fender amp probably will lack the mids you want but that should get you close. Maybe one of the very light OD pedals for the thickening and slight hair around the notes like Honey Bee. I actually think the SBEQ does this well too. Something like a Timmy or a Scredriver would also work well. Playing with your fingers might also work well.

3. jtatknox

jtatknox Member

The closest I can think of is when you play a double stop through a too-small speaker and it causes cone cry.

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

That's why people like strats... it has that tine-chime tone, esp the neck p/u.

I would try a treble booster--

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

not a fuzz dude.

crank your amp and add a little hall-style reverb as mentioned.

Cranking the amp and picking lightly/maybe rolling back some volume is the way to do it. Adding a little subtle delay to the front end (and reverb in the back end) will give you what you need.
    A good example of this IMO is jimmy page's tone on the SRTS concerts... especially the rain song.

Tape echoes out front of a cranked amp are sweet because the amp will give a natural compression to the echoes, bringing them closer in level and allowing them to tail off even more sweetly.

6. jtatknox

jtatknox Member

SRTS was 1973, right? Been watching some videos on youtube for something like what you are talking about. Great videos to be sure, and thanks for sending me that way but I am not finding what you are talking about. Maybe Over the Hills and Far Away? Sounds kind of thin and doesn't quite have the swell I'm looking for. Maybe you can point me to some specific media?

Cheers!

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Good thread, I love the sound of a rhodes.

To get something similar with guitar, I've had luck with a warm tremolo and a bit of overdrive. Actually, the EHX Wiggler has a setting call Wurli that sounds great for this. It's kinda in between tremolo/vibrato setting and being tube powered it has a little bit of tube grit.

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

I love my Rhodes. Actually it is commonly played with a phaser and a fuzz, not just or mainly a cranked amp. They were designed around a Fender Twin. I use a Tonefactor Hellbilly or Throbak ODB into a Pigtronix EP1 into a Pritchard amp and can get any Rhodes tone I've heard.

I don't think you can get the Rhodes tone with a guitar, but I certainly can play my guitar through the same effects and amp at the same settings.

9. enocaster

enocaster Member

+1, I use the Wurli setting on the Wiggler w/a light OD, and maybe a touch of slow phase with a neck pickup. Add a hint of an octave above and below the original tone - if you have an EHX HOG, lower the filter cutoff frequency and subtract a hint of attack decay for good measure (more extreme settings take you straight to organ territory). Adjust your playing to suit (experiment with fingers vs. pick for different sounds) and add a warm germanium fuzz at low gain if you want to dirty it up even more. A carefully set Uni-vibe can be substituted for the Wiggler in a pinch.

10. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

To get the clear percussive string attack with a less prominat sustain, try damping the strings near the bridge somehow. Maybe you can jimmy-rig a piece of felt near the bridge to get theproper effect much like the felt stoppers on a piano damp the strings when you let go the key. Add to that some slightly hairy od and a little shallow trem to complete the effect.

11. jtatknox

jtatknox Member

I experimented some more today and found that putting my Demeter Tremulator BEFORE a ProCo Rat II gave a very good approximation. If you set the Rat to distort only when the tremolo is at its loudest point in the cycle, you get a very musical tremolo effect. This will only work with a touch sensitive pedal.

Maybe this is starting to diverge into a technique thread.

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Thats not really touch sensitive as much as it is input gain reduction. If the rat is seeing dramatically reduced input gain from the tremolo it will output less distortion. The dynamics of actually playing lighter or heavier are a bit narrower.