Fender Rivera era amps?

I just picked up a bassman 20 off of craigslist here in Austin for $75!!!!!

The heading was "Squier precision bass $200"
Overpriced for what is made today, but I thought about the off chance of it being an old Jap and clicked it. It was korean and a bit beat up. In the description it said "fender amp also for sale-$75". In the distant background of one of the pics was this oddly shaped amp with a noticeably aged grillcloth. I asked for a better pic and she sent this:

I noticed the bass action was about 3 meters off the fretboard so I asked if either of them played. Turns out they just go to estate auctions and buy things to resell them. They had to make money off of this so I don't even want to know how little they paid.

I am using it as a head and the tone is BEAUTIFUL!!!

My '69 thinline tele bridge pickup sounds pretty good through the 15 in there too. Calms it down and thickens it up a bit.

I am looking for a champ head box to throw it in so I don't have to haul a stupid 1x15 combo around as a head.

Anybody want to build me a cheap head box????

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
Were the "75" models done by Rivera? I have the 1x15 combo and love it.

stratopastor

I've just had a guy contact me via the 2005 post some way above (!), so I thought I'd just update the URL for my Rivera-era web page and re-state that I'm still collecting serial numbers and offering manufacturing dates as rewards (and I'm hoping to publish lists soon for serial number vs. year and production quantities for each of the 14 Rivera-era Fenders)

http://www.stratopastor.org.uk/strato/amps/twoseriesfenders/twoseriesfenders.html

(the Geocities URL is now dead)

Apologies if anyone finds the re-animation of a long-dead zombie thread disturbing. (It's aliiiiive, I tell you.....)

Zexcoil

Vendor
I've owned 6 of these beasts:
3 Superchamps-sound great, very portable, but I found that the lack of a mids knob limited their usefulness in the venues I played, eventually sold all of them.
2 PRIIs, one with a Kendrick speaker which was good, one with the rare EV SRO which is absolutely killer. I'll never sell it till I'm down to my last 2 or 3 amps (out of the 100s I've owned). The way to fix the buzzy distortion depends on the peculiar way the switching is set up. The pedal and the pull knob do slightly different things, so you actually have 4 sounds. If you leave the knob in, the gain on the lead channels is reduced a lot. Dime the amp at that point and it blossoms into a smooth, harmonically rich, moderate gain machine that sounds (dare I say it) a little like my Fuchs mod. I'd keep the amp for that sound alone, but it also has a killer clean sound, not BF but a bit warmer, like a cross between BF and Mesa clean.
1 DRII-disappointing, sounds nothing like the SC or the PRII to my ears... It's for sale if you want it :)
Well, it's the apocalypse, so I feel perfectly justified in resurrecting a zombie thread.

Plus, I believe I own that PRII with a Kendrick speaker. I bought it from Cowtown Guitar in Vegas some years ago.

Sounds fantastic. I've used it for a lot of pickup demos, and I run it in stereo with a Fuchs Black Jack 21 in my Floyd tribute.

rwp

I have a Deluxe Reverb ll that I bought new in 85. Have went through may other amps but have no thoughts of getting rid of it.

e???

Well, it's the apocalypse, so I feel perfectly justified in resurrecting a zombie thread.

Plus, I believe I own that PRII with a Kendrick speaker. I bought it from Cowtown Guitar in Vegas some years ago.

Sounds fantastic. I've used it for a lot of pickup demos, and I run it in stereo with a Fuchs Black Jack 21 in my Floyd tribute.
Was gonna say the Princeton 2 is a great amp, just needs a new speaker.

On a side note: I don't understand how we lost so many great threads a few years back when the tgp format changed, but little threads like this survived. I'm forever lamenting the loss of the original "non wimpy amp club", and I think I'll always kinda resent the mods for losing it...

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
The Rivera designed Fender Concert was a great and undervalued amp. The only thing that broke often was the ability to switch channels due to a lousily designed opto coupler channel switching system. Was however easily remedied by every halfway decent repair engineer.

You guys probably know this as well, but Sweetwater has recently done some exclusive (I think) reissues of Rivera-modded silverface Deluxe Reverbs, the "Stage 2 DRRI," which recreate the kinds of mods he did for all the session dudes in the ’70s, particularly Jay Graydon and Lee Ritenour.

Among other things, they separate gain from master volume, relocate and revoice the Presence knob, and add a 6-stage Fat switch that puts the midrange back into that super-scooped silverface sound; overall, you might say they turn the SF Deluxe into a kind of alternate-reality Boogie Mark I. I've never had the chance to play one, but I've heard some great-sounding demos.

sickboy79

My Dad has a Concert II head. Very cool amp. I haven't played it in a while but, always enjoyed it. Need to have him let me borrow it for a while.

jay42

How did I miss this thread 15 years ago? Ed Jahns did most of the tube amps in that era. There was a line of solid state amps that Paul was more responsible for. Ed Jahns was previously responsible for the volume wars era Fenders -- the UL 135W amps and things like the PS 400 and I would guess the Super Twin Reverb...oi vey.

Guitartim

Big fan of Ed Jahns and Paul Rivera era amps. Thanks for resurrecting this old thread.
I've owned quite a few of these amps including Concerts, PRII's, SC's and CII's. I'm currently down to the following:

1...Champ II (Made into a head/cab rig)
2...Super Champs w/EV10 and Emi Legend
1...Princeton Reverb II w/EV12F

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
Were the "75" models done by Rivera? I have the 1x15 combo and love it.
They were not. Neither the Super Champ or the Fender 75 were Rivera. They were both, Ed Jahns design. Rivera came on board after they was designed and already being sold.

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I had the PRII, what a good amp that I would have kept if I had the wherwithal to have yet another piece of gear laying around. Big, gig-worthy tone from the circuit and a good 12" (ditched the farty Fender 12 and put in an Emi RWB, iirc). I'm reverse of some others though: I did not care for the drive channel, and thought ch1 was the superior tone.

Something for the OP to remember is that these are not channel switchers: choose one, or the other, but dont gig this amp expecting to switch between the two, at least IMHO. I kept mine for several years, and I recall selling it for similar if not a bit more than what I paid ...they've got a bit of a following.

Edward