• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Road worn 50s Telecaster

kulit17

I got one of these bad boys new and started noticing the headstock finish starting to crack?? I guess it'll add it the Mojo, but curious if it'll eventually go out of control. Anyone with a player worn series experience this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny2013

I have the same guitar and I think they cracked the finish on purpose. Once its cracked it probably spreads more easily like a cracked windshield. I dont mind it.

kulit17

So maybe I didn't realize the crack at first and it just got bigger?

gwr

yea mine is like that too but I think it was like that when I bought it,no worries won't cause any harm nor will it spread if it came from the factory finished like that,great sounding guitar,sounds better then most tele's costing twice as much.I changed the pickups out to Lollar vintage and had a fret level & crown and put in better pots and that's it.

Johnny2013

I'm not sure if mine spread or not, but it's definitely cracked. gwr is probably right.

I really really love it. I still need to get my frets dressed and a pro setup, but it does indeed sound spectacular, even with the stock tex mex pickups and my attempts at setting the neck and bridge (it was really off straight from GC). A dude in the shop I bought it from was trying to trade his MIA strat for it. I never thought I'd go for the relic'd thing but it's lightly reliced and it just feels like home.

kulit17

Here's a pic of some of the spider web cracks. I actually got this bass from a Warranty exchange from Fender circa 2013. I bought a NOS modern player worn telecaster that had a weird paint issue when I pulled it from the box and was told I would get this.. I was stoked and love the feel and look..... Kinda relieved I don't feel I have to baby it like my other pieces of gear...... Changing out the pickups wasn't something I thought of doing but now that it's been mentioned.... Hhmmmmm.

Johnny2013

Thats what mine looks like too.

I have changing the pickups on a list for when Im feeling gas to get some variety but the tex mex sound good I think

chucke99

I like the look of the Road Worns and still kick myself for passing up a new blonde tele at $500 one Christmas. But I can't help but point out the irony of guys who have bought RW's now worried that their guitars are displaying new cracks in the finish too soon.

kulit17

But I can't help but point out the irony of guys who have bought RW's now worried that their guitars are displaying new cracks in the finish too soon.
I'm not worried at all dude. like i mention in my OP, it'll just add mojo to the guitar. I was only curious coz i've owned the guitar for only a month and its starting to crack. I have an american deluxe v neck strat that I baby and its still mint. so IME with both guitars, i was curious with other owners....so thanks

Last edited:

Johnny2013

Yeah, I think whether this cracking is normal, even on a relic'd guitar, is a legit question. The current RW's are much more lightly relic'd so I can see wondering about this.

chucke99

I'm not worried at all dude. like i mention in my OP, it'll just add mojo to the guitar. I was only curious coz i've owned the guitar for only a month and its starting to crack. I have an american deluxe v neck strat that I baby and its still mint. so IME with both guitars, i was curious with other owners....so thanks
No worries. It would be fun for someone to track wear on the RWs to see if they have accelerated wear in general.

Johnny2013

500 is a great price, I've read that best buy was selling them for that late last year. The used ones on ebay are selling for 700-800...

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
500 is a great price, I've read that best buy was selling them for that late last year. The used ones on ebay are selling for 700-800...
Best Buy was selling the Road Worn Players Tele, not the regular Tele.

WorkinSteamin

I have a first generation 50s Blonde with Wilde Bill Lawrence Keystones. Love it. But there is a 1/2 inch chunk removed from the edge of the back bottom of the headstock. No idea how it happened. The nice thing is, since it is "Road Worn", I don't worry about that sXXt.

On a side note, I was at my tech's workshop and his assistant saw my guitar and asked reverently how old it was. (I don't know if that's more a reflection the guitar or the guy!)

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
These Road Worns are the best guitar for the money Fender makes. IMHO of course.

Johnny2013

ahhhhh, the players is not as attractive

edit: actually I just went and took a closer look online and that black RW players tele is pretty sweet looking and comes with an SD 59 humbucker. I would like to play one. I probably would have snapped one of those up for 500.

Last edited:

Johnny2013

I agree about the best guitar for the money, I LOVE mine. I had a regular MIM standard from 2001, which I'm going to sell.

Top Bottom