Fender Road Worn 60's Strat Opinions/First Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by K.E.P., Dec 27, 2009.

1. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

I have an opportunity at a used Olympic White 60's road worn strat. I have read what reviews I could find here and else ware and see that these are pretty decent guitars.

I think I can get them to $600 for a used one. Is this a good price for a used one? I tried to find a Fender Friday post where I think these were close to this for new. Any opinions on this specific guitar? It would be my First strat and I love the look, but know there are a lot of strats out there for around the same price and wanted to know if better options existed.

Thanks.

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

The strings/neck/bridge on many of these that I played didn't 'line up' correctly. The high 'e' string was almost off the neck. Definitely pass unless you can play it first. Not what you want to hear but trust me, paying $50-$100 more for a guitar that plays great is worth it when put up against the alternative.

scmyth likes this.
  3. Release

Release Member

Yea, definitely play it first and then decide.

I bought 2 of the 50's Road Worn Strats and they are, by far, the best sounding, playing and feeling guitars I have ever played. There are some duds in the bunch but the good ones are absolutely fantastic and well worth $600.

4. jpage

I don't know about the 'best', but I do agree that if you find a good one (and do not need a large neck profile), these guitars present a great 'bang for the buck'. A few that I've played were (much) better guitars than some of the CS Fenders on the wall in the same stores.
    You know right away with a strat--plug into a good Fender amp, do some 2 step bends up and down the neck to check for uneven frets, and then shuffle away until you decide if the neck is comfy or not...oh, yeah and plenty of SRV pick rakes of course!

5. bluesgolfer

bluesgolfer Member

I say no. Too much for used. You can probably pay that or even less for a new one.

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Where can you find a new one for that? I have a buddy that wants one.

7. jpage

No you can't.

8. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I keep hearing this and then no one can point you to one.

9. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Fender Friday Musicians Friend price match. You can see it on the remarks section of the receipt. If that deal isn't going on, then the price match isn't either. Although I am sure you could still grab some sort of deal on one.

For the OP, there is a ton of info on these around here. Here is a little review I did back when they first came out.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=490611

10. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

Fact remains, you can buy them new for what someone is selling one for 2nd hand. If I sound bitter, its because they are the equivalent of US $2000 at my local store here in Oz.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

:eek:

12. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

13. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

i saw a few for $2400 when they first came out, just ridiculous really. Great guitars but over priced here in Aus. I'd buy one 2nd hand in a heartbeat though at a more sensible price.

14. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

Well I paid $1750... worth every cent!

15. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

brand new? that's pretty good.

16. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

You would think that someone could set up a small business that would ship guitars in bulk to Oz for resale. I have to believe that there is a way to do this that would result in lower prices than what you folks are paying, but still turn a decent profit for the business.

17. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

Well I think it was brand new... looked pretty beat up. Nah just messing! Saw a RW tele on Ebay oz for $1050 last week.

Sorry to hijack fellas!

18. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

They did, that's how I got my American Deluxe Strat for $1500au (thru ebay on a B.I.N.) Dude was importing demos and Fender Australia were all over this him, shutting down his auctions repeatedly. He had to leave ebay cos it became untenable.

19. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

+1, I have observed the same problem with the high e string almost running off the edge of the neck on many of these at the local Guitar Center.

Given one that is set up correctly and plays right, I think $600 is a resonable price for a used one.